Search

The golden rules for your school's elearning strategy

• Public
Started by Enabling e-Learning 01 Aug 2011 1:13pm () Replies (6)

The Mindshift blog (which I highly recommend) has shared a post on the 7 Golden Rules for Using Technology in School. Ranging from the importance of professional development, to where you might find the technology in the building, it makes an interesting list.

If we were to suggest a golden rule - a guiding principle, if you like - to support leaders develop their elearning/ICT school strategy, what would it be?

Replies

• iDave (View all users posts) 10 Aug 2011 7:42pm ()

I quite liked that blog post.  One of the key things I think schools should have in mind is - what is their vision for their learners?  - strategies (ICT/eLearning) developed should support or align with that....

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 11 Aug 2011 2:23pm ()

Yes yes yes to vision. There’s an ongoing conversation about the notion of how important a clear vision for e-learning is in the comments @ /pg/blog/read/82005/ipads-in-education-the-debate-heats-up

I’ve also always enjoyed using the following questions on vision building from Andrew Churches with schools:

• What is the guiding vision?
    • What are the drivers for this change?
    • Does it provide valid goals and objectives?
    • What are these goals and objectives?
    • Is it a shared vision? has everyone bought into these?
    • Are these goals achievable, measurable and manageable?
    • Are these "goal posts" shifting? Is the scope of the project, your goals and objectives, changing?

Taken from Educational Origami - Managing Complex Change. 

In MAKING A SHARED VISION A SHARED REALITY - Jan Hill, Kay Hawk, Kerry Taylor write about how important it is for all stakeholders to have ownership of the vision for learning – including students and parents. “Successful strategic planning is based on the vision that the key stakeholders - trustees, staff, parents, and students - have for their school.” And “It is crucial, in fact, that they are owned by everyone - staff (both teaching and non-teaching), students, parents, trustees and the wider community - in order for it to become reality.” (p 3).

I've also heard how some school leaders are reluctant to engage and consult with the wider community. So how are schools involving students and parents in developing/owning a shared vision for learning?

• Jo Wilson (View all users posts) 03 Oct 2011 8:51pm ()

Vision, vision and more vision. Vision that is owned by everyone to the extent that it is highly visible and everyone knows where 'we are at and where we are going.'

One of the ways that keeps the vision and the goals to the fore front is to have these displayed. I have seen several good examples of the vision and the strategic plan being clearly displayed eg. across the back of the staffroom wall, at the top of the staircase, in the main foyer. This makes them very evident and a constant reminder of the 'big picture' and the goals / steps required to get there.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 16 Feb 2012 2:24pm ()

Principals have a lot of things in their role that compete for their attention. In this Edtalks, Charles Newton outlines a number of models for principals and leaders to consider when strategic planning or planning for ICT.

Always worrying when technology takes precedence over pedagogy. This video shares some fantastic references to models that can help drive e-learning stategic direction in your school.

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 28 Feb 2012 9:59pm ()

TECH TOOLS ARE NOT JUST A PASSING FAD - Taken from the 7 golden rules mentioned above.  This is very real for me now...and also for my 3 children aged 12, 5 and 3.  I have recently been given an iphone as a work phone, and was encouraged to let my children play with it....and play with it they have.  At first I was thinking um...they're going to get square eyes...the invisible supersonic transmitting waves are going to damage their precious little bodies and brains!!!  I've woken up to the reality that Tech tools are not just a passing fad and that my children need to learn how to use these tools so that they are prepared for the tools of the future!  I've only woken up because I was given a very impressive tool and am able to share this tool in a very little way with my children...and my five year old taught me how to use it after becoming fascinated with the iphone that an aunty so kindly let her play with.  Access to the tools is a concern for my children in their schools.  Some of the computers I see in their classroom spaces look ancient and seem to be under ultilised...why... because they're not being used.  So do schools work through a process of upgrading to the next thing that comes along...follow suit...from an ancient desktop, to a newer version, to a lap top..to an ipad???  Just a few examples...or do we take the jump and plan to buy the latest thing out there...and just go go go!!!  ACCESSING THE TOOLS IS A BIGGY FOR ME!  

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.