Search

Mixing and mashing: How do your students manage copyright?

• Public
Started by Enabling e-Learning 01 Aug 2011 1:08pm () Replies (13)

Here's a great resource from the National Library of NZ, partly in response to the Mix and Mash Competition, guiding teachers on how to support their students as they use digital content.

How do you support your students as they copy, paste, use and share? The teachable moment as they're going along? Deliberate teaching based on key competencies?

Replies

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 11 Aug 2011 1:54pm ()

I'm not working directly with students, but I have found recently when working with some teachers that it comes as a big surprise that students (as well as teachers) shouldn’t use (copying/pasting) Google images into presentations. There has been a lot of, “I hadn’t thought about that"“I thought because it was Google Images, it was there to use" and, "How were we suppose to know?" and "Is it really that big a deal?"

Using alternatives to Google images is as easy as using a Creative Commons search for material. For example, using the advanced search option in Google images and choosing the ‘Only images labeled for reuse” option.  Flickr - search Creative Commons also has images that can be sourced for use or reuse.

Teaching students about licensing conditions is a positive way of respecting other people’s intellectual property and a great way to teach/model the appropriate use of digital content - as a good digital citizen.

For more links to CC images, music and sound resources, go to http://ictpd-digital-citizenship-and-copyright.wikispaces.com/Finding+Creative+Commons+content

• iDave (View all users posts) 11 Aug 2011 4:58pm ()

You are right Tessa - I get a bit disappointed when some teachers don't think to have some conversations around copyright with students of any age - or don't think it is important.  I have shown a number of teachers the in App use of images which Google offers as filtered CC images - and is a good way to start a conversation.  Then show some of the other options you have mentioned.

Also would like promote the Free to Mix document mentioned above.  Good info and easy to read.  Teachers seem to appreciate it.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 11 Aug 2011 6:54pm ()

I agree iDave, what a great document on mixing/matching, reusing material and I especially like the bullet points that include:

• Educators understand the variety of usage rights applicable to digital content
    • Educators and students have the skills and confidence to find material that is suitable for reuse
    Very easy to understand and follow!
  • Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 24 Aug 2011 10:43am ()

I think it is absolutely a time issue and a lack of confidence issue. Working with young kids too can make it challenging for them to keep track of where they got images from and to then properly attribute. We have the issue with the ESOL kids that I teach that it is difficult for them to go through the steps required. We create a bank of images for them that we have found using CC search engines and put the attribution details as comments under the images for them to copy and paste. However, even then, a lot of the kids don't want to stick with the images we collect and are putting in all kinds of things.

We realised we had a problem in that the kids really just didn't understand the concept When we then got the first language support person to try and explain, she wasn't really able to because SHE didn't 'get it' either. We will still continue to expect that they will source images correctly though and have now added this as a requirement to their marking schedule for their next assignment.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 24 Aug 2011 10:13am ()

In regards to using CC commons images and sighting terms of use, I recently had another teacher say to me, "Oh that's just going to take the kids three times longer to do anything".

Is it time contraints that hinder appropriate use of intellectual property?

• Tara T-J (View all users posts) 24 Aug 2011 11:00am ()

Weirdly I just blogged about this very issue.  Jamendo is a great resource for music.  Wikimediacommons is good for images.  Laughing

http://taratj.blogspot.com/2011/08/copyright-its-all-rage.html

http://www.jamendo.com/en/

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 24 Aug 2011 9:57pm ()

We're having a Creative Commons workshop tomorrow with Jane Hornibrook and Ian Munro from Moe organised through Paul Seiler on Twitter or MLE Google group or some such place. Should be great to 'get it' right in my head too.

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 25 Aug 2011 9:58am ()

Keep us posted on how that goes, AllanahSmile

I just fed this resource through to the ICTs in English forum, as we have been talking about the same issue, in terms of students mixing up different resources to make an 'original' piece for NCEA.

• This Powerpoint from the Copyright Council of NZ is pretty useful: http://www.copyright.org.nz/viewInfosheet.php?sheet=440

There was also a piece on Radio NZ on the same issue, in terms of the new law:

With Allan Freeth - Chief Executive of Telstra Clear NZ. Vikram Kumar - Chief executive of Internet NZ. Paula Browning - Executive officer of the Copyright Council. (22′53″)

Download: Ogg Vorbis  MP3 | Embed

• Tara T-J (View all users posts) 25 Aug 2011 10:28am ()

Also Wikieducator is a great place to learn about creative commons.  There are good free courses there that I can highly recommend!

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 14 Sep 2011 10:13am ()

I see Toni Twiss has bookmarked a great blog post from Helen Baxter on the importance of embracing Creative Commons in schools. The blog post shares some valuable links in a NZ context. 

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 27 Oct 2011 11:34am ()

Wondering how everyone got on with the great NZ mix and Mash competition? Winners can be viewed here. http://mixandmash.org.nz/

Thanks to dragonsinger57 for sharing this video bit.ly/rRT2mt in Twitter #ulearn11.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 02 Apr 2013 10:03am ()

Hi all, submissions are now open for this year's Mixandmash competition. If you want to know how your students can engage in this opportunity (to create stories that remix and mashup open content and data), here's a message from Matt McGregor Creative Commons (via MLE listserve).

Hi all,

I’m currently surrounded by boxes of Free to Mix guides and A2 Creative Commons posters, in preparation for Mix & Mash. If you want a class set, let me know off-list: admin@creativecommons.org.nz. We’re also running Skype sessions all year, so do get in touch to arrange that as well.

Cheers,

Matt [DDI: +64 4 470 5779 | Twitter @cc_aotearoa]

Big cash prizes are up for grabs. 10th May is final submission day. For more go to, http://www.mixandmash.org.nz/

Join this group to contribute to discussions.