Search

Apple Configurator Update

• Public
Started by Ryan 20 Jun 2013 4:28pm () Replies (17)

I have just updated my apple configurator and it is 100 times better. The improvements that I have seen already is that you get an estimated time for updates and if you get an error you get all the details about what went wrong for example what apps did not install. Yay. 

Replies

• Rae Marsh (View all users posts) 20 Jun 2013 8:18pm ()

Fantastic! Do you mean that these improvements are directly related to an update?

• Ryan (View all users posts) 21 Jun 2013 8:48am ()

I believe so. 

• Johanna Chambers (View all users posts) 21 Jun 2013 9:09am ()

How many iPads are you configurating at once?  

Have you had problems adding new aps to your exisisting master?  It's been driving us NUTS!

• redbeard45 (View all users posts) 21 Jun 2013 9:51am ()

I downloaded the new Configurator after it promised to be brighter, shinier, more reliable, etc,etc, etc. I added a new Lock Screen image so I could tell the iPads had been updated, added two apps to the master ipad, backed it up and then pushed it out to the other 29 iPads - error, error, error, error... "Could not unpack archive" or something like that. Made a new Backup, pushed it out again...Same thing. It was getting to the end of the day and we needed working iPads so I went back to the last Backup from two weeks prior. No new apps but at least we might have working iPads. When they had synced, I checked an iPad and it had the new Home Screen image and the two new Apps??? This is driving me nuts!!!

• Johanna Chambers (View all users posts) 21 Jun 2013 10:02am ()

I hear you loud and clear!  We've had the same issues.  I haven' t updated the new improved configurator yet.... so hopefully that will work.  I sent a shitty email to apple a week ago and they referred me to this site.  We had been using Cyclone Computers instructions.  So our next steps are to download latest version of config and try following these step-by-step instructions.....

Here are the links they sent me and what we will be following to the letter:

Please note that you can find instructions, documentation, and how-to information for Apple Configurator at the Help Library:

Apple Configurator Help

http://help.apple.com/configurator/mac/1.0/

For more specific troubleshooting topics, see the Enterprise support sections for iPhone and iPad:

iPhone Support 

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/enterprise/ 

iPad Support

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/enterprise/

You can also call AppleCare Enterprise support for assistance. To find the appropriate phone number, see this article: 

Contacting Apple for support and service

http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57

I located the number for your country for you: 00800-7666-7666

An Enterprise Advisor will be able to tell you about Apple's complimentary and fee-based support options for Apple Configurator.

• David Haythornthwaite (View all users posts) 21 Jun 2013 2:00pm ()

Updated to Apple configurator 1.3 this morning. Have gone from a vey stable app to a very unstable app. Tried to update one iPad and crash Configurator has unexpectedly quit. As I did a Time Machine backup immediately before the update how can I go back to the original?

• redbeard45 (View all users posts) 21 Jun 2013 2:28pm ()

Hi David, glad it is not just me!!! The worry is that when you install the new one, it goes through the process of pulling through the record files from the old one - can't remember what it called it but remember thinking about it as it did it!

Hoping that the new version hasn't updated and altered your original data and it is stored outside the App (Like other Apple stuff - make sure you have made a current Time Machine Backup?) l would have thought you could trash the current Configurator, then plug in the Time Machine Bckup, go down to the Dock and select Time Machine, use the bar on the right hand side to go back to the time before you installed the new version, and drag the old version back again? I'd need to go and plug it all in to check.

Otherwise, you could always leave it 3 weeks and it will be someone else's problemLaughing

• redbeard45 (View all users posts) 21 Jun 2013 2:48pm ()

David just had a play. After plugging in the TIme Machine backup drive, I deleted a non essential App, went down to the Time Machine icon on the Dock and used the slider on the right to go back to the earliest Back up, Did a Shift + Apple + A to get Applications, clicked on the App I wanted to restore and then hit the Restore button at the bottom right of the Time Machine bar along the bottom, and it bought it back to the present time. Seemed to work okay but understandably reluctant to play with Configurator at this school where it is still the old mildly buggy version, not the latest 100% disaster version just released. Hope this helps.

• David Haythornthwaite (View all users posts) 21 Jun 2013 4:23pm ()

Hi Redbeard45 - I'm loath to muck around with it too much as all our redemption codes are tied into configurator and it would get very expensive if they got lost in the translation.

• David Haythornthwaite (View all users posts) 21 Jun 2013 6:36pm ()

Just spent 90 minutes on the phone with Apple Support and they guided me through a restore back to Apple Configurator 1.2.1.  This meant going back through Time Machine to a back up prior to installing AC1.3 and then restoring the whole user folder that I use for configurator, and then restoring the Apple Configurator 1.2.1.  This was not without hiccups and sheer terror when the first time we went through and the desktop came through with nothing on it and the folders with the spreadsheets were gone and when AC start it went back to ground zero.  Redid it and went back to another back up and it all came in again.  Will have to reconfigure a few iPads but there is no crashing out when I try to install a profile or I plug an iPad in.  All the redemption code are there and accounted for.  Will I try again to upgrade to 1.3?????????  Not at the moment!!!!!  Cannot speak highly enough about the support I received from Apple.  Jason was absolutley fantastic.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.