Search

ALiM 2013

• Public
Started by Jo Stanway 19 Jun 2013 9:40pm () Replies (6)

Hi I am about to begin my ALiM programme.  If there is anyone else out there that have some really  useful tips on anything about it please help me out, I don't want to waste any of the time that I have with the children.   

So far i have been using Pinterest and nzmaths to help find rich maths tasks.  I have set up children work books and have children that are so excited to start the programme.

Replies

• Caroline Hope (View all users posts) 22 Jun 2013 1:46pm ()

I have used the NZ Maths Problem Solving tasks (modified them to suit) and made some arrays to use. I haven't started yet but am using them in my normal class. I found a copy of Teaching Student-Centered Mathematics on Amazon (much cheaper than the bookshops). This has been a great resource to think of open-ended tasks. We discussed making an ALiM group on NZ Maths and I think we can upload our resources there. It would be good to share - happy to upload some arrays if anyone is interested.

• Sally Shroff (View all users posts) 22 Jun 2013 3:42pm ()

Hi Jo Stanway
    Here is a link to a face book page. I recommend you take a look. This might also be useful.

https://www.facebook.com/nrichmaths

• Sally Shroff (View all users posts) 22 Jun 2013 3:43pm ()

Hi Jo Stanway
    Here is a link to a face book page. I recommend you take a look. This might also be useful.

https://www.facebook.com/nrichmaths

• Julie Roberts (View all users posts) 22 Jun 2013 6:46pm ()

Hi Jo

I am a facilitator in Wellington and I have found the use of quick images a fantastic approach to develop visualisation, patterning and multiplication strategies. I have placed a copy of the dot images in Group Files.

Enlarge the dots by 200% then laminate. Show then hide the dots. Students need to work our how many dots they saw and share their strategy as to how they worked it out. Excellent task to make thinking visible and highlight next steps.

If you google 'Quick Images' you will find a lots of other ideas too. Teachers have been using the dots as a daily starter activity.

Have fun.

Julie

Join this group to contribute to discussions.