Search

Help

• Public
Started by Hazel Owen 23 Nov 2010 11:29am () Replies (16)

The help button brings you here, so seems to be a good place to ask and answer questions about functionality etc Cool

Replies

• Hazel Owen (View all users posts) 23 Nov 2010 11:34am ()

Starting with one for Glen and the development team. I am probably missing the obvious...the embed function only allows me to upload a file. I am really, really desparate to embed content from elsewhere, and once students start using the space and creating their own content, to encourage them to do so too. So, key embeds for me would be from Voicethread, Voki, and Blip.tv.

I have just tried going directly to the HTML as well and adding the embed code (and in the case of Voki trying lots of the different options that they give) and have had no luck. I could just be being dumb here!! (And hope this is the case).

Understand there are security issues, but....(it also helps with storage issues, and, when students move on, they can still access their work -  a move towards portable ePortfolios).

• Glen (View all users posts) 24 Nov 2010 10:51am ()

Hi

To embed 'embed' and 'embed' tag you do need to go into html view and paste the embed code - the default elgg wording is very confusing and I think we will get this changed. We are also looking at a much easier way to embed stuff than having to go into the html view - will keep you posted in this.

In the mean time, can you email me some copies of the embed code you are trying to use that is not working and we will get it sorted for you.

Glen

• Hazel Owen (View all users posts) 23 Nov 2010 11:35am ()

Another quick question - is there anywhere I can access documentation / vids / screencasts for this specific instance of ELGG (I know it's stiil prototype, and this is unlikely, but I feel bad that I keep bugging you guys!! Frown).

• Glen (View all users posts) 24 Nov 2010 10:55am ()

We are pretty close to the stage now where the main developments we have been working on are in place so we can start putting together some basic help without fear that it is all going to change next week and we have to do it all again. Watch this space. In the mean time we love to be bugged by real people - we want to make this platform work for real people like you, not geeks like us, so the more you bug as and tell us what you want and what you are struggling with the better we can tailor the system to meet your needs.

Glen

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 23 Nov 2010 12:05pm ()

I agree, Hazel - we do need video/media embed functionality here (so we can connect to/embed multimedia already online, as opposed to files on our desktop) - and no, it's not you missing the obvious.;-)

You can embed images (using the embed/upload function) but video etc ends up becoming a downloadable only file...Cry

• Rachel Whalley (View all users posts) 24 Nov 2010 9:00am ()

Hi Guys

I thought that Glen you were going to have a Help button that went straight to here

http://wikieducator.org/SCD/VLN_How_to's

For documentation on  how to use this site for setting up programmes of learning.

I am not sure that these are features that you were looking for Hazel & Karen.

This Help group looks like a reproduction of the other initial group VLN Website Development.

How to find what you need but not reinvent the wheel at the same time.... Hmmmmm

• Glen (View all users posts) 24 Nov 2010 10:46am ()

Hi Rachel

Sorry about this, link should have been on left menu of this help group. Programmes of Learning should appear there now, and links to wiki educator page is there.

Have also put a note on home page pointing to development forum for enhancement suggestions, etc.

Glen

• Rachel Whalley (View all users posts) 24 Nov 2010 11:36am ()

Cool thanks Glen :-) You are doing a great job! I realise this is a work in progress and lots more is going to come out as more and more users engage in this site.

• Matthew Hatton (View all users posts) 03 Dec 2010 9:33am ()

Hey! just one thing.... ive been trying to figure out how to post here, then i found out you have to 'join' this group to do so... is that really needed? be nice to be able to just pop in & post.

Anyways, my main question, how do  i add dates & details to my calender?

it doesnt appear to let me click on days to add details.

Thanks

Matthew

• Glen (View all users posts) 03 Dec 2010 10:15am ()

Hi Matthew

Good point about having to join to post, we will see if we can change that.

As far as calendar events goes, it is not quite as wizzy as google calendar yet so you can't just click in the date boxes in the calendar to add events. Use the "Add Event" link that apears in the left navigation when you are in the calendar in order to add events to the calendar.

Glen

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 30 Mar 2011 8:16pm ()

Hi Matthew,

Does this answer your question about the Events Calendar. Go to Tools > Event Calendar and you should see this:

When you click on 'Add event' you'll see a form which allows you to add all the information you want.

Hope this helps:-)

Karen

• Matthew Hatton (View all users posts) 03 Dec 2010 10:32am ()

Glen, thank you for your prompt reply. However I do not see an 'add event' button. I go into 'event calender' under the 'tools' drop-down menu... is that right?

Also, is there  a way i can set 'my events' as the default instead of 'all events'

Thanks

Matthew

• Paula Jamieson (View all users posts) 24 Mar 2011 10:46pm ()

Hi guys,

I think from what I have read here that what I want to do is not possible yet.....but I'll ask anyway (just in case). I would like to embed a series of 'teacher talks' on our Cluster Group page with different file formats; mp4, wmv, mp3, avi, wav. Can I do that yet? and if so is this best done on a 'blog' page or a 'page' (eg "Teacher Talks" or does the choice of page no effect the upload options? Also (last thing for now I promise).....will there be any 'progress' type bar so that you can see how far you've got.....at the moment you just wait 'forever' then get the dreaded error message.

Oh, so many questions and such little time Wink

Cheers

Paula

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 30 Mar 2011 8:10pm ()

Hi Paula,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you:-)

All the editor panes have an 'embed/upload media function'. Doesn't matter what tool you use (blog/pages)

You can embed code from:Youtube, Blip TV, Vimeo, Flickr, Slideshare, Picasa, Voicethread, Voki, Scribd, Issuu (Reading/Iframe only), Google Docs, Prezi, Tedtalks

You can also upload movies that are less than 20MB. I am investigating file formats and will get back to you. mp4 definitely works. It may be easier to upload all video clips to YouTube/Vimeo and use the embed code. At least you would know how long you still had to wait….;-)

I'll get back to you shortly:=)

Cheers

Karen

• Glen (View all users posts) 30 Mar 2011 8:30pm ()

Hi Paula

At the moment you can upload any file format you want, but it won't automatically embed the video, people will get a link to download the file to play locally - but we have a solution for this coming soon which will allow you to upload any common format and it will convert it to an embedded video just like YouTube does. If you need this urgently you could add the videos to YouTube, and then use the YouTube embed tag to add them to the VLN, or watch this space for the in-built option in the next week or so.

Glen

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Help

Help

This group is a place to find or request help in the VLN.