Search

Setting up a school with Google Apps - first steps!

• Public
Started by Melissa Grant 14 Jun 2013 1:47pm () Replies (23)

Hi Google App users!

I'm about to set a school up and have heard there are a few teething problems if you don't work through the set up process correctly.  My one question at this stage is:  When I send the domain name over to Google for verification and this is approved does google mail immediately start working and therefore the teachers lose their outlook mail flow and have to immediately start using google mail?

Replies

• Rob Clarke (View all users posts) 07 Aug 2013 10:22am ()

Hi Anjela,

I would use hapara if I was implementing GAFE with a class or school. It enables the teacher to easily manage the whole lot (including documents, emails - plus monitoring, blogs, comments, picasa) from one easy to use dashboard. I've seen it used and it's seriously impressive.

With regards to your safety question - like anything in the elearning realm, if you have strong agreements that are used in an ongoing manner to discuss, mediate and help learners understand the ethics around digital communications, then safety becomes less of an issue and learning is the issue. Does that make sense?

Re: monitoring systems - there are a few on the market and it is worth doing some homework on these. I saw the most brilliant one I've yet seen in the north island recently called 'Mobile Manager' by lightspeed systems - it looks seriously powerful. Some options here...

Re: moving accounts when children leave. This depends on your philosophy - it can be messy and time consuming doing it manually. Google have this nifty tool called Takeout which does this for you - the user needs access to both accounts though. You could therefore get students to do this themselves. More here - https://delicious.com/robclarke/googleapps

I hope this helps - get in touch if you want more help.

Rob

• Rob Clarke (View all users posts) 06 Apr 2014 7:55pm ()

Hi Emily and others,

One aspect to be mindful of is when making changes to your DNS records you can create mayhem if you make a mistake. The key part is the change of the mail delivery, this in my view is the critical part as it affects everyone at the same time - so you need to consider how you are supporting the change prior and as soon afterwards as possible.

Another thing to consider is to create a shared folder in Drive inside a generic Admin account which houses schoolwide documents - that way you avoid ownership issues when people move on/etc.

A really good solution is to create a school start page - at the upcoming GAFE Summit in CHCH and AKLD I'm running a workshop on creating your own school start page if you can make it.

If you want help with your installation/deployment I'm happy to advise, drop me an email off forum.

Rob

• Rob Clarke (View all users posts) 08 Apr 2014 7:11pm ()

Great we'll look forward to seeing you there!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.