Search

Setting up a school with Google Apps - first steps!

• Public
Started by Melissa Grant 14 Jun 2013 1:47pm () Replies (23)

Hi Google App users!

I'm about to set a school up and have heard there are a few teething problems if you don't work through the set up process correctly.  My one question at this stage is:  When I send the domain name over to Google for verification and this is approved does google mail immediately start working and therefore the teachers lose their outlook mail flow and have to immediately start using google mail?

Replies

• Anjela Webster (View all users posts) 24 Jun 2013 8:38am ()

Thanks for the heads up on Hapara Teacher Dashboard.

A couple of questions - what is the main rationale that you would use Hapara? Is it safety because you can monitor their movements across Google apps? Or is it accountability on the student and teacher with keeping up todate on progress/work? 

We operate with Google accounts and individual teachers use Google drive accordingly within the teaching and learning.... we are using Watchdog currently, but with a move towards BYO iPads in the very near future, we are looking at a more rigorous filtering and monitoring system whitch Watchdog and others offer.

Another query is ... how are schools considering the idea that the student's google accounts can be taken with them once they leave a particular school network? This idea of developing Life long learners needs to also include the ability to take your learning and work along with you as you move through the schooling system. Enduring accounts so to speak.  I know you can download Docs and then upload to another Gmail account, but is this the only way for someone to 'own' their work?    Thoughts? 

Cheers.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.