Search

Setting up a school with Google Apps - first steps!

• Public
Started by Melissa Grant 14 Jun 2013 1:47pm () Replies (23)

Hi Google App users!

I'm about to set a school up and have heard there are a few teething problems if you don't work through the set up process correctly.  My one question at this stage is:  When I send the domain name over to Google for verification and this is approved does google mail immediately start working and therefore the teachers lose their outlook mail flow and have to immediately start using google mail?

Replies

• sansam (View all users posts) 24 Jun 2013 10:20am ()

The teacher dashboard provides a great monitoring system of all docs, blogs, and blog comments.

It is easy for a teacher to open up a doc and provide instant feedback and feed forward on children's writing.
    There is certainly a safety aspect to it, but more importantly makes it easier to access children's work and provide ongoing feedback.
    We have just begun using the Remote Control part of dashboard as well, which lets us see what webpages children have open on their browsers (in Chrome) and enables teachers to send  direct messages to child, open webpages on all children's netbooks as well as closing them when needed.
    When our children leave the school they provide us with a gmail address (with parent permission) so we are able to hand over administrator rights to blogs.  Docs aren't as easy to transfer to a new account as yet not able to transfer ownership of a document unless you are still in the same domain (the school ). Hopefully google may change this as it would make life a lot easier.
    Would be interested to hear what other schools do to roll over accounts.
  • sansam (View all users posts) 24 Jun 2013 11:31am ()

That is a really big job when you have 200+ accounts!  But yes, did do that for some accounts.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.