Search

Setting up a school with Google Apps - first steps!

• Public
Started by Melissa Grant 14 Jun 2013 1:47pm () Replies (23)

Hi Google App users!

I'm about to set a school up and have heard there are a few teething problems if you don't work through the set up process correctly.  My one question at this stage is:  When I send the domain name over to Google for verification and this is approved does google mail immediately start working and therefore the teachers lose their outlook mail flow and have to immediately start using google mail?

Replies

• KathC (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2014 8:02pm ()

We followed the manaiakalarni clusters (PES) lead in having special school 'GAFE blog' accounts create all the blogs for the children, and then invite the children to be authors of their blogs, and each childs teacher is invited to be admin. This means a big job for the person setting up, but also means all the settings and privacy etc is standardised.

So far this has worked well for us. 

• KathC (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2014 7:55pm ()

Hi
    We have just been having this very discussion as we come to the end of our first year using blogger. In discussion with our board and staff we have decided to remove the childs authorship from the blog, to turn off further commenting, and to leave the blog as accessible in the www. The school will retain its ownership for now, in case in the future a child wishes this footprint to be removed from the web.

We talked long and hard about child ownership, and the ability to keep adding to it, but decided in reality, that as primary school children they won't want to be associated to their primary school eportfolios socially for long. We figured as they move onto intermediates and beyond they will be asked to start new eportfolios if relevant to the school anyway.
    So as our paper portfolios go home static and finished for the year, our blogs will become closed and a finished product of their primary years when they leave our school.
    Of course this may change in the future if our intermediates and high schools ever wish to carry these on.

• Camilla (View all users posts) 28 Nov 2014 10:12am ()

Hi GAFE guru's, 

I'm needing some advice. As a school we are interested in setting up blogs through Blogger for each of our students from year 1-8. students are set up into different organisations based on year group and certain apps are turned off until a particular time through GAFE admin. My question is, how have others set up students with Blogger. I see it as a free add on, but I do not want our 6 year olds to have to go in and create a blog name and change permission settings etc. Is there an easy way to set up a blog for each of our 200 students without me having to login as them and do it on their behalf?

I have a similar question around privacy setting on Youtube too...

Any advice would be great. 

• merryl (View all users posts) 27 Nov 2014 5:28pm ()

Hi all

Do those of you with students moving on from your schools change admin of blogs to child's parents ??? Or??

Thanks

Merryl

• Warren Grieve (View all users posts) 09 Apr 2014 6:56pm ()

When setting up Google apps consider having a common docs type account into which you can locate common or shared taecher docs if you intend to move admin features, minutes, planning into Gapps. This can then be easily maintained, bakced up locally. We locate all docs that are important to school running or need to be left behind when someone leaves in such an area. Makes handover much easier and means they are easy to backup in one spot to a local drive. Consider staged rollout...... teachers.... pupils.... Train eLearning staff in holidays so they can act as faciitators when launched.

• Rob Clarke (View all users posts) 08 Apr 2014 7:11pm ()

Great we'll look forward to seeing you there!

• Emily Watts (View all users posts) 08 Apr 2014 7:05pm ()

Great advice ... thank you! Will be in touch via email Rob ... will certainly need advice along the way. I'm planning on comign to the GAFE Summit too.

• Rob Clarke (View all users posts) 06 Apr 2014 7:55pm ()

Hi Emily and others,

One aspect to be mindful of is when making changes to your DNS records you can create mayhem if you make a mistake. The key part is the change of the mail delivery, this in my view is the critical part as it affects everyone at the same time - so you need to consider how you are supporting the change prior and as soon afterwards as possible.

Another thing to consider is to create a shared folder in Drive inside a generic Admin account which houses schoolwide documents - that way you avoid ownership issues when people move on/etc.

A really good solution is to create a school start page - at the upcoming GAFE Summit in CHCH and AKLD I'm running a workshop on creating your own school start page if you can make it.

If you want help with your installation/deployment I'm happy to advise, drop me an email off forum.

Rob

• annerotorua (View all users posts) 06 Apr 2014 7:34pm ()

Our advice - highly recommend you use Google Apps for Education in conjunction with Hapara Teacher Dashboard - makes it so much easier to manage.

We had a hiccup at the start with setting up our GAFE account as we were assigned a Google Apps for Business trial ( despite thinking we had registered for Google Apps for Education) so do check that you have the right kind of account.

Have received fantastic support from both Hapara and Google. In case you don't know Google have a support line in NZ ph 09 915 0981. You need a pin to get support from the Google Helpline - see the support section under your google admin login for details re pin.

Enjoy using Google Apps. It is fantastic.

Anne

• Emily Watts (View all users posts) 06 Apr 2014 6:16pm ()

Hi Melissa (and others)- I see that you asked this question almost a year ago - I would love to know how the set up of GAFE has gone for you? I'm just about to embark on this at our little school (38 students) in order to set the seniors initially up with gmail accounts and for them to create work in G.docs and share. Any heads up on things you wish you'd know before you started, any teething issues and unforeseen difficulties? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all,

Emily

Join this group to contribute to discussions.