Search

Relationships, Connections - Our kids need CHAMPIONS!

Started by Moana Timoko 13 Jun 2013 11:54am () Replies (7)

Relationships, Connections - Mātakitaki mai e hoa mā.  

Rita Pierson shares an awesome TED talk - Every kid needs a CHAMPION!!  You may have already seen it, but I watched it again today....and it moved me. 

Many teachers leave the classroom and move on...still in education but not in the classroom.  

I think of the many people that I've had the privilege of working with in my current role...and I often think about the impact they would have working back in a classroom environment (on a regular basis).  I work with some really amazing educators...and I've met soooo many more via the VLN or in person at conferences/hui etc.  I know that any great contribution to education is a bonus, a positive - don't get me wrong.  As Rita says she's watched people teach, she's looked at the best and some of the worst.  I'm not sure where I'm going by posting this discussion but this clip makes me want to go back!  This just shows another example of the power of sharing a story, a message via a youtube video clip.

This clip made me think about what I would do differently - and how would I know that I was having a positive impact on the learning of my students?  

How do you know you're being a champion?  What do you do that makes you a champion?

Feel free to answer...and let me know your thoughts after watching this clip.

Replies

• Neil_V (View all users posts) 13 Jun 2013 1:36pm ()

Even in the midst of every teacher’s favourite activity ‘Report Writing’ this 7 minutes was truly uplifting!

Thanks,

Neil

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank...but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child." -- Forest Witcraft

• Justine Wright (View all users posts) 15 Jun 2013 12:11pm ()

This lady is spot on in this talk- excellent, and the quote in the comment above is so true.

J

• Sylvie Vasar (View all users posts) 16 Jun 2013 12:06pm ()

Life is all about relationships and more so with the students we teach. Building positive relationships with some students is really hard work and here the teachers acting role plays a great part.

• Jo Wilson (View all users posts) 18 Jun 2013 11:32am ()

What a great clip Moana!!!

This is what it is all about - Relationships, relationships, relationships.

• Nathaniel Louwrens (View all users posts) 20 Feb 2015 12:40pm ()

Just watching this clip a couple of years after it was first posted and it is timeless.

It's about building relationships.

A good reminder at the start of a school year.

• Lisa Banks (View all users posts) 20 Feb 2015 3:51pm ()

Great clip - she has soooo much attitude!  So glad that I have spent the last few weeks establishing a solid relationship with my classes. Firm but fair and fun when it can be.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.