Search

Beginner in minecraft

• Public
Started by Nicki 12 Jun 2013 9:39am () Replies (3)

I am really keen to get Minecraft started in my classroom.  I have no idea about the game but have a group of avid gamers.  I want to hook them into literacy through minecraft.  Any ideas?  I have downloaded the lite version on my ipads.  

Thanks Nicki

Replies

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 12 Jun 2013 10:31am ()

We started as an inquiry.  "How can we use this as a learning tool?"  Along the way we are discovering uses for it like modelling our ideal school or using scale in maths.  Mostly, as we have a multiplaye world, w are discovering that we need to model good values inside the Minecraft world.  You don't knock things down just because you can.

I suggest you use creative NOT survival mode and create a charter which includes no TNT, no griefing.  These come up as you go!

• Caroline Bush (View all users posts) 12 Jun 2013 11:24am ()

Great Ideas Annemarie

I have been so grateful for your sugestion to use creative not survival - being that I had no idea there were options - it made me sound really knowledgable to my learners!

We too are on the inquiry journey and I often have learners asking if they can use minecraft for various learning times - the standard answer being show me and convince me and boy are they doing some great research and putting together some really convincing plans.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.