Search

Te Wiki o te Reo Māori 2013 - Māori Language Week 2013.

Started by Catriona Pene 11 Jun 2013 5:56pm () Replies (33)

Kia ora and welcome to our shared space to prepare for and celebrate,

Whakanuia Te Wiki o te Reo Māori 2013 - Māori Language Week 2013.

This year the focus is on Ngā Ingoa Māori - Māori names.

"Ko tōku nui, tōku wehi, tōku whakatiketike, tōku reo." 

"My language is my greatness, my inspiration, that which I hold precious."

He aha ā tātou mahi? Me pēhea?  What is our mahi? How can I take part?

• Learn more about Māori names, including place names and names of people you may know.
  • Use Māori names more frequently and to practice correct pronunciation.
  • Share your stories of using Te Reo in the classroom and of using blended e-learning to teach and celebrate Te Reo Māori.
  • Share resources you have created or found online to support other teachers.
  • Create a digital story of a place special to you, your whānau, your class or your community and then share it with us in this discussion group. 

Ngā rauemi ā-ipurangi.  Resources available online. 

Here is a selection to get you started, please add your own.

Me tīmata tātou. Let's get started.

Let's begin by introducing ourselves.

• Ko wai tō ingoa? What is your name?
  • How do we pronounce your name correctly?
  • Tell us about the whakapapa of your name.
  • Does your name have a special story or significance? 

Replies

• Chrissie Butler (View all users posts) 12 Jun 2013 9:13pm ()

Kia ora koutou

Ko Chrissie Penelope Butler toku ingoa.

I don't have any stories about mispronounciation, but a few little personal stories attached to my names.

I'm English and I was a shy teenager when a programme called On the buses was on the tele. Often whilst walking down my high school corridor, or more mortifying from the back of the physics lab, the boys would shout "I 'ate you Butler" in the voice in the video below. I would promptly want the ground to swallow me up.

My name also lined me up with Penelope Pitstop. So the other bark down the corridor was "Heyelp, heyelp" - see video below for intonation!! 

But being called Chrissie, from Christine did not become a fixture until I left school. All through my childhood I was called Chris. When I left school, I spent some time in Israel working on a kibbutz. I put my name down on a list when I arrived to milk cows rather than chop banana leaves. When they dished out the jobs they thought Chris was a bloke. When I stepped up they were a bit caught out as milking cows had been reserved for boys. Thankfully they let me do the job, but from then on I was known as Chrissie.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.