Search

Te Wiki o te Reo Māori 2013 - Māori Language Week 2013.

Started by Catriona Pene 11 Jun 2013 5:56pm () Replies (33)

Kia ora and welcome to our shared space to prepare for and celebrate,

Whakanuia Te Wiki o te Reo Māori 2013 - Māori Language Week 2013.

This year the focus is on Ngā Ingoa Māori - Māori names.

"Ko tōku nui, tōku wehi, tōku whakatiketike, tōku reo." 

"My language is my greatness, my inspiration, that which I hold precious."

He aha ā tātou mahi? Me pēhea?  What is our mahi? How can I take part?

• Learn more about Māori names, including place names and names of people you may know.
  • Use Māori names more frequently and to practice correct pronunciation.
  • Share your stories of using Te Reo in the classroom and of using blended e-learning to teach and celebrate Te Reo Māori.
  • Share resources you have created or found online to support other teachers.
  • Create a digital story of a place special to you, your whānau, your class or your community and then share it with us in this discussion group. 

Ngā rauemi ā-ipurangi.  Resources available online. 

Here is a selection to get you started, please add your own.

Me tīmata tātou. Let's get started.

Let's begin by introducing ourselves.

• Ko wai tō ingoa? What is your name?
  • How do we pronounce your name correctly?
  • Tell us about the whakapapa of your name.
  • Does your name have a special story or significance? 

Replies

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 18 Jul 2013 5:39pm ()

Wow Josie!  The future is certainly in great hands with teachers like you asking year 2 and 3 puplis questions like that and with pupils who can express their ideas that clearly. : ) 

• Josie Woon (View all users posts) 18 Jul 2013 5:29pm ()

I was marking writing books today and this story says it all.  I have Year 2 & 3 children and they were asked why Maori Language Week was so important.

"Maori language week is so important because it brings us altogether.  So we can learn and use the language of New Zealand.  It brings other people together so others can understand Maori, the language and why it's so special.  Maori people come from all around the world.  If people can't speak Maori we can help."

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 18 Jul 2013 2:54pm ()

Thanks Josie for your comments. I agree we need to be making more of an effort on a daily basis.

Love this post just off the Wire Hazel has cross-posted from the Ethos Community.

Bringing te reo Māori into a community: A student-led initiative

• Josie Woon (View all users posts) 18 Jul 2013 9:08am ()

Yes I totally agree I am sad that it is only seen as a one week thing.

One thing as a teacher that I was even more saddened about was my daughter who is half Maori came home upset.  After asking her why it came out that her friends at school ( predominantly pakeha school) were complaining about having to do Te Reo over this week. she took this as a direct insult.  She tried to smooth it over saying its only for one week.

This got me thinking. Why is it only one week? Why should she have to defend this? And why it a school in this day and age still not integrating more Te Reo?

As a country if we show support it will filter through to our children.

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 18 Jul 2013 8:40am ()

Kia ora again all,

Last week when I logged into my bank site I was saddened to see that the the Kia ora greeting posted for Maori Language Week had been replaced by the Welcome again. : (

I have emailed my bank asking them to consider replacing the greeting with Te Reo permanently as a sign of our bi-culturalism and not just as a Te Wiki o Te Reo Māori token.

They have assured me they are considering my request. : ) 

It got me thinking about how many other dual or Te Reo signage pops up during this week once a year and then disappears again for 51 weeks. How can we be sure that each year the resources, signage, etc are posted and maintained to move towards us becoming more bi-lingual?

What are your thoughts on this?

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 17 Jul 2013 11:01am ()

We can continue to keep the spirit of Te Wiki o te Reo Māori - Māori Language Week by visiting and responding to the Facebook page. On an aside, you might be entertained by the debate about Stan Walker and his use of english Smile.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 17 Jul 2013 10:57am ()

Thanks so much for sharing this gem from Collingwood area school Susan Smile. I can see how valuable this wiki will be in your school, as you scaffold new learning each year - in honor of Te Wiki o te Reo Māori - Māori Language Week. After-all digital resources should help reduce duplicating our efforts!

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 04 Jul 2013 7:43am ()

I am cross-posting this link from one posted this morning by Wawaro Te Whaiti in a new discussion post on Blended e-Learning for Māori and Pasifika Learners:

Re: Fonts or solutions for a PC so you can type with macrons.

Kia ora rā,
    Koinei te hononga ki te pae ipurangi a Te Taura Whiri i te Reo Māori e
    whakaatu ana i ngā pumanawa rorohiko tohutō. Whaia te hononga me ngā
    tohutohu kia riro i a koe ngā momotuhi tohutō. Mauri ora!
    Here's a link to the Māori Language Commissions website that shows you the
    macronsing programmes for PCs and Macs. Follow the links and instructions
    to download the Māori keyboard and fonts. :-)

http://www.tetaurawhiri.govt.nz/english/resources_e/download/index.shtml

Thanks so much Wawaro!

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 03 Jul 2013 7:03pm ()

Here is a short article through just this morning from radionz of the impact on children of mispronouncing their names.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/te-manu-korihi/213543/mispronouncing-names-affects-children

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 02 Jul 2013 6:01pm ()

Here are some more local place names with hints for correct pronunciation from Parua Bay School.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.