Search

Research apps

• Public
Started by Simon Scott 11 Jun 2013 1:25pm () Replies (10)

I have a year 4-5 class and the class are currently researching a variety of topics.  Does anyone know of any apps that can assist with this or child friendly sites?

Cheers

Replies

• John O'Regan (View all users posts) 11 Jun 2013 4:10pm ()

Two things I teach my kids for researching- 

1. Put "for kids" after search terms- not always reliable but can cut out a lot of the technical stuff that will just freak them out.

2. Teach them to double click to quickly switch between apps (on iPads)- e.g. if they are browsing on safari and taking notes on pages. Or how to use tabs (on any device), so that they can have a google doc open as well as their web research.

Teach them how to do these with the standard tools of the trade, rather than rely on an app that the school might have but isn't on the device they use next year.

• John O'Regan (View all users posts) 11 Jun 2013 4:10pm ()

Two things I teach my kids for researching- 

1. Put "for kids" after search terms- not always reliable but can cut out a lot of the technical stuff that will just freak them out.

2. Teach them to double click to quickly switch between apps (on iPads)- e.g. if they are browsing on safari and taking notes on pages. Or how to use tabs (on any device), so that they can have a google doc open as well as their web research.

Teach them how to do these with the standard tools of the trade, rather than rely on an app that the school might have but isn't on the device they use next year.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.