Search

Does your school have a Digital Citizenship profile?

After all the discussions about understanding the concepts of Digital Citizenship...what does a successful Digital Citizen look like?

Here's how one teacher developed this in her class...

http://thebookfairygoddess.blogspot.co.nz/2012/09/digital-citizenship.html

Does your school have a Digital Citizenship profile?

Thank you for sharing the link Kathe Tawhiwhirangi.

Replies

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 26 Aug 2013 8:34am ()

Just through this morning from Edudemic via twitter, First five days of digital citizenship at your school, tackles the task of getting started early with teaching digital citizenship and also stresses how important it is that this becomes part of the culture of your classroom.

Love this quote...

"Our students are like cowboys living in the wild wild west. Without any guidelines or structure they can get in a lot of trouble." 

Well worth a read.

• Justine Hughes (View all users posts) 11 Aug 2013 11:58am ()

Absolutely loving the discussion and sharing in here!  I've come from a learning environment where there was a strong school-wide / shared understanding of Digital Citizenship to starting over in a school where they are really just at the start of the journey.

We are beginning an inquiry this term around concepts discussed in here and I'm finding it an incredibly useful reminder of what I need to do to help guide understanding and exploration of our thinking. 

It's funny how, when we've been immersed in this understanding for so many years, we forget where we ourselves were at the begninng of our own journeys.  I need to remember this and not assume understanding or knowledge and always repsect where people are on their own learning journeys.

• Anjela Webster (View all users posts) 09 Aug 2013 12:48pm ()

I like the focus that John F (CORE ED) encourages, re inquiry learning and threading digital citizenship and ethics into thinking skills at large. Some content around Digital citizenship requires stand alone teaching and learning sessions and unpacking from a 'single' focus - however where the issues of ethics, types of communication (formal, informal, inappropriate, etc), online and offline information literacies, 'rules' of participation, norms, behaviours, etc can be woven into situated learning contexts, it provides in-time learning in a meaningful way, and students are able to put it into immediate practice.

The more seamlessly we can highlight issues, strategies, self-management of all things online around citizenship, safety and literacies, into authentic learning contexts, the more value and imprint it will have I believe.

There are such tremedous resources out there, and what a great place to be sharing and recommending. Thanks fellow educators!

Cheers

AnjelaSmile

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 09 Aug 2013 11:45am ()

Just uploaded to EdTalks 

Ten Trends 2013: Digital citizenship

Dr John Fenaughty, Senior Researcher at CORE Education, suggests a shift towards using inquiry based learning to promote critical thinking and then applying that to understanding what digital citizenship would look like for students. John urges schools to see that the Internet and use of mobile phones are an opportunity to let students do real-world learning about what effective citizenship means for them, both online and offline.

digital citizenship 2013 from EDtalks on Vimeo.

• Klaris Philipson (View all users posts) 09 Aug 2013 9:57am ()

Hi All,

I loved the wotk that Clare and the NZ teaching community put together last year and have used it as a guide for starting to develop one for our school.

A site that i find has great resources for middle school and lower secondary is : http://www.nsteens.org/

Thanks for all the sharing  -it is great and much appreciated.

Klaris 

• Shaun Wood (View all users posts) 08 Aug 2013 6:33pm ()

This is a good video explaining digital citizenship, and I have always been a fan of Common Sense Media lessons, this is their digital citizenship poster for classrooms.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 09 Aug 2013 8:22am ()

Thanks for sharing both of these resources Shaun, I find them extremely useful and have subscribed to the Educational Technology and Mobile Learning blog - so new posts come into my email account.

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 09 Aug 2013 9:58am ()

Thanks for the video link Shaun, I too am a fan of the commonsense media resources around digital citizenship and have used the poster you mentioned with my year 3 class. I also like this one for older students and have had a great response from sharing with friends who have teenagers sharing their lives online.  

• JacquiLand (View all users posts) 07 Aug 2013 7:38am ()

We have developed an on-line Digital Citizenship programme for our students to work through. It probably works best as a blended programme. We ran it with our Year 9 students where they did one module in a core class each week for a term. If you want to have a look at it, it is on our Moodle site, but you should be able to access it as a guest. http://papnet.papanui.school.nz/course/view.php?id=2063 The enrolment key is Digital

There is also a teachers course / guide at http://papnet.papanui.school.nz/course/view.php?id=2050 again the enrolment key is Digital.

These courses are available to download and restore in your own Moodle site, where you can ammend/change them to suit your needs, if they are helpful / useful. These can be downloaded from http://papnet.papanui.school.nz/course/view.php?id=2052 (enrolment key = Digital).

I am also looking at the implementation of the course into a New Zealand High School as part of my Masters Thesis, which I hope to finish later this year. If people are interested I would be happy to share my findings once completed. I would also be happy to receive any feedback / improvements that can be added to the courses.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 09 Aug 2013 8:17am ()

Kia ora and thank you for sharing your Moodle site Jacqui. I can see a lot of work has gone into making this resource relevant and authentic to your students. I've been enjoying viewing the material in bite-sized chunks and like the way you've also bought in understandings around BYOD.

I see you've made references to this site being used in a blended programme. How do you see that working? How/when would the students be accessing/processing the content? I'd love to hear more.

• JacquiLand (View all users posts) 13 Aug 2013 1:17pm ()

Hi Tessa,

I have trialled this course as a blended approach, which worked quite well, although it probably needs a bit more teacher PD first to be entirely successful. This is what my research is based on, so would be happy to share this once it is complete. The way it worked, was that each of the core subjects - English, Maths, Science, Social science and HPE took responsibility for two of the modules. The students then completed the course in one core lesson each week. So Week 1 they did the first module in an English class, in week 2 they did a module in a maths class and so on. This worked well, as no one department wanted to take on sole responsibility for the course. The departments also felt they couldn't "give up" 10 lessons to cover the whole course. It was therefore decided that each department would "give up" 2 lessons. This also meant that the course was spread across the school, so the same message was coming from every department, making it more of a whole school initiative. The idea being that eventually the topics will become embedded within the "normal" teaching and learning that takes place. The form tutor also had an overview of the whole course. 

Each department was given two of the modules. This was so that the members of the department could help each other and if necessary the department could adapt the material to suit their subject and resources. The teachers could then just supervise the students as they worked through the material on-line, or they could interact more with the students and add some face-to-face discussions to the course. This was really left up to individual teachers / departments. The students accessed the material for one period a week in school and then finished the module at home, with the class teacher and form teacher monitoring student completion.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 29 Aug 2013 11:39am ()

Wow, thank you JacquiLand for sharing in more detail. That makes so much sense to me.

I have a primary trained background and realise that secondary schools can have very different challenges with form rooms/ subject classes etc. I imagine it could get complicated organising who might teach a component of the curriuclum, that isn't enitrely subject specific - rather more conceptual, life skills, citizenship kind of stuff. You've overcome this hurdle.

No doubt dividing the lessons in this way, also puts your teachers on the same page - with similar understandings and same desired learning outcomes for digital ctizenship? What a great way to have the whole school on-board.

Your story is a successful example of the Extending phase of Digital Citizenship - from the e-Learning Planning Framework, which reads,

All staff and students collaborate in learning activities that routinely and deliberately explore and foster digital citizenship practices in real-world contexts.

Thanks again for sharing Jacqui Smile. Fantastic!

• Warren Grieve (View all users posts) 12 Jul 2013 11:52am ()

Here are some on my Digital Citizen resources including a "profile" for our pupils. http://in2edu.com/thematic_topics/cyber_citizen/cyber_citizenship_index.html I have a wide range of downloadable resources there. Especially interested in comments on our Key Concepts progression 

Cheers

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 09 Aug 2013 8:11am ()

Wow, thank you Warren, this is an incredibly full and rich resource you've shared with us. I can see the value in the Goolge doc and the digital citizen profile poster is a great example for others - to make their own from. Thanks again.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 02 Jul 2013 10:05am ()

Here's a cute little video about what kind of Digital Citizenship will you be? Looking at several aspects of being online when accessing, using, creating content.

Here's an oldie but goodie...Digital Dossier with powerful messages of how connected we are online - whether we realise it or not.

Here's another angle - Digital Footprints - Your new first impression with a focus on how others see you online.

• Claire Amos (View all users posts) 02 Jul 2013 9:25am ()

As well as the wikieducator resources, I pit together this Google Site for supporting teachers understanding of Digital Citizenship - it may be useful alongside student facing resources Laughing

https://sites.google.com/a/staff.eggs.school.nz/digital-citizenship-guidelines-for-teachers/

Cheers

Claire

• Heather Harper (View all users posts) 02 Jul 2013 12:03pm ()

This looks really good Claire. I will have a really good look when I have some time.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Digital Citizenship

Digital Citizenship

A group to support schools help their students, staff and whānau become digital citizens