Search

How have different schools managed the process?

• Public
Started by Karen Spencer 07 Jun 2013 11:38am () Replies (2)

imageThere were some great ideas about different approaches to using the tool shared in last year's Enabling e-Learning: Leadership group NAPP thread.

I have pulled a few of their stories together here so you can see how different leaders tailored their approaches to suit their school community.

Involve your staff, the BoT & the charter

"It's important for staff to have a buy in by identifying areas of strengths & weaknesses, needs, professional development required, then articulating this and putting the plan into action. Involvement from the board is important too as they will need to support funding and it would, hopefully, form part of the curriculum review process - being part of the strategic goals for a school and annual review process." - Vicki Lewis

"It is very timely for our place at the moment with reviewing the eLPF and at the next BOT meeting I will be introducing the framework to our Trustees and discussing our initial plans for introducing it with staff and then planning a course of action of how we can move from pre-emerging/emerging to engaging, and further (hopefully) over the next three years.  Definitely a strategic approach is called for and inclusion in our Charter is essential." - Justine Driver

"I have already used aspects of the framework to survey the staff at my school about their capabilities with e-learning and the results while very mixed have given me some clarity about my assumptions. I will survey parents and the Board of Trustees early in Term 4 and collate this information to inform our next steps. One of the clear gaps for us is in the identification of e-learning in our vision and strategic plan - and as we are reviewing our school strategic plan currently I will work with the Principal and the board to ensure that they are aware of the importance of e-learning and the difference between e-learning and ICT (technology) where there seems to be a disparity in our current thinking across the school." - Siobhan Patterson

Integrate it into strategic planning

"I have found the e learning framework to be a starting point to begin discussion around what our strategic plan will be for e-learning. Today in fact we have a professional development event around the implementation of student/home intranet at our college." - Anne-Marie Bullock

Facilitate whole staff exploration & feedback

"I only sent an email and link [to our questionnaire] to the e-Learning Framework to our Leadership and Team and spoke briefly to the leadership questionnaire at a meeting before I sent the link.  However, with our teachers I conducted a session in our staff meeting which included the video clip (above) to explain the purpose etc of the framework.  I didn't want to "pre-teach" too much on the framework because I didn't want to influence responses.

I have not yet closed off the teacher questionnaire - this will probably happen just before the holidays when I will have time to analyse responses and think about next steps (including a community questionnaire).  I think at that point I will also look at what our next steps might be as a whole staff (if the responses are reasonably homogenous) or differentiating (if I can identify those who are more capable / enthusiastic) to provide suitable PLD opportunities utilise the strengths of staff as a catalyst within teams next year.

I think in our large staff the step by step progression of the ELPF will empower staff rather than overwhelm, and this is one of the reasons I decided to work with it.  Our teachers will probably appreciate some overview / big picture stuff so they know the long term goal and the value for childrens learning ... but generally with ICT I find that if the learning curve is too steep, or the pace of change too fast, the result is avoidance or resistance.  So the focus will be next steps in one or two areas of the framework, and this will probably also link to some PLD relating to wider teaching and learning curriculum focus I believe."  -  Jennifer Holland

imageInforming discussions on future-focused learning

"Our staff and lead team have used it in conjunction with Derek Wenmoths 'pyramid' [right']. As a staff we created some key concepts around how 21st Century Learners operate and also brainstormed teaching practices that we value (bigger than just eLearning). These helped make our teachers more aware of eLearning needs and how we can use them in a way that fits within our collective beliefs. The eLearning planning framework then helped us to articulate some specific goals in a strategic plan that is regularly reviewed. I found a few really helpful questions in a document that might have been entitled How to Use the ePlanning Framework. ." (Bruce Ellison)

Combine with framework with 'teaching as inquiry' & appraisal

Story 1: Target priority learners

" I believe that introducing the framework as a way of reinforcing the focus on teaching as inquiry (concurrently with the great practices suggested for staff meetings- unpacking and the survey etc) would be a nice way to bring prominence to both areas. Or take a target group like underachieving students that is already the focus of some work and look at how the use of e-Learning could dovetail with supporting their achievement." - Katherine Sarah Geard

Because e-Learning should be evident in appraisals, strategic plan, charter etc it would be good to use the framework’s suggestions to create or review these documents actually using technologies available (like MyPortfolio as a place to collect evidence for goals and the RTC for appraisal). Get really familiar with its use in a variety of different ways so that you can model it at all areas of school life." - Katherine Sarah Geard

Story 2: Engaging staff in e-learning inquiry

"We have been looking at the eLPF the last 2 weeks at my school - first in a leadership team meeting, where we pretty much decided we were emerging in all the rubric cells, apart from the technology infrastructure, which has been our focus this year. Unfortunately in my school we are still struggling with teachers ability to access the internet due to awful wireless issues. We did get UFB earlier in the year, but we only have limited number of computers available in the classrooms and most are in 2 COWs. Usually when you talk about computers and ICT there is vehemence and frustration expressed by staff, as to their access to the machines, so I was wondering how they would view a discussion on the eLPF.

I was pleasantly surprised by the level of support and interest that staff fed back after going through the framework. Different groups looked at the different pages and then very briefly fed back to the whole staff the level they had decided we were at. We then focused more in depth on the Teaching and Learning area and had some good discussions with the staff.

What came out from this, was that the staff wanted a page put in their appraisals to show where they were currently and to give them goals to head towards for next year, amongst one of the points brought up. They also expressed an interest to have this as our schoolwide focus for next year, which was really positive. I think we will be able to pull it off." Kate Erickson

Involve different groups to develop vision

"We have used the e-learning planning framework at our school as a basis to support our vision.  Previously, purchases had been made without such a framework, which has been OK, but this has enabled us to focus in more on what is important and how e-learning can be used to raise achievment.

After reading through the framework, we discussed at three levels.  First as an IT focused group, then with senior staff and then with the BOT.  The trustees were very appreciative of this.  The aim has been to share the resource, share the vision around our school and ask for voice.  Within this we have include parents, but from a slightly different level and asked for their ideas and input.

The framework has enabled us to review where we are and what we need to do to next.  It has helped us when thinking about what IT equipment is needed in the classrooms and around the school, but to use more of a strategic approach.  We are currently focusing on a strategic direction for the next 2 and possibly three years, although realise that things will probably change.  It is certainly still work in progress, but very useful to have such resources outlined on the enabling e-learning site." Phil Wainright

To inform the plans for BYOD

image"We also have been investigating and trialing e-learning and BYOD in our school, and the framework has been timely. In some respects, I think you have to move forward in a cyclical nature, as represented on the first page of the document. But you also need to consider the five dimensions at the same time. Focusing on only one dimension at a time will not holistically plan for the future of our schools and students.

So at present, we are investigating our technology requirements for the next 3-5 years, and trying to match them against curriculum demands; we have recently improved our infrastructure to incorporate campus-wide wireless accessibility; our PD focus for next year will be on e-learning (using an adaptation of the framework); we expect this to flow into the classroom with new ways of teaching and learning (in particular BYOD) and we continue to seek new ways of using technology as a support tool for our wider school community. All staff at school are aware that this is a focus for next year. They have been told that their focus is on professional learning, and on teaching and learning (what happens in the classroom); this will be included in every teacher’s appraisal. The ICT technical and management team will investigate the other areas in the plan and report back. I look forward to watching the plan unfold, and learning a lot along the way." Yvonne Fenemor

Image credits: CC Jonny Goldstein; ajleaon

Replies

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 01 May 2014 9:59am ()

How has one kura used the e-Learning Planning framework?

What considerations were most important to them as they addressed, what Māori achieving success as Māori looked like for them?

Watch this short video from Enabling e-Learning, as Principal Richard McCosh (Waerenga o Kuri) shares how they have developed two strategic goals:

1. To implement blended e-learning across the classrooms to enhance student achievement.
    2. Nurture partnerships between students, staff and community.

The revised e-Learning Planning Framework has reshuffled the dimensions, to acknowledge the importance of community connections in Beyond the Classroom.

Watch out for references to a MASAM (Māori Achieving Success as Māori) Framework in the digital stories from Waerenga o Kuri as well. This is one way to help identify what educative success looks like for Māori learners.

How has your kura used the e-Learning Planning Framework? We'd love to hear more! Smile

Thank you to LwDT facilitators, Kathe Tawhiwhirangi and Trevor Bond for their work on this.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.