Search

Why use the e-Learning Planning Framework?

• Public
Started by Karen Spencer 07 Jun 2013 11:13am () Replies (3)

eLPFI have been having a look back at last year's discussion thread from Enabling e-Learning: Leadership, where schools leaders from across NZ discussed why they were using the e-Learning Planning Framework.

I've pulled out a few of the choice quotes, to give those of you who are exploring this tool a flavour of the different perspectives that leaders bring to using it as part of their school's review:

Define your direction

The eLPF is an excellent tool and resource to use in order to establish where you are at currently as a school but also define your future direction and areas to focus on. It is imperative now, in 2012, that schools have a strategic plan that is transparent in respect to the future direction around e-learning and pedagogy, so that milestones can be reached each term or year, and that all staff, students and parents can be a part of the journey together. Every school is at a different point with their IT capability, capacity and availability. The framework gives clear guidelines to develop an appropriate plan for every school that is inclusive and covers the 5 dimensions." Karen Morgan

Opportunity to reflect on learning

"This tool will help us future proof and plan for ICT integration and devlopment as a staff. The framework provides clear prompts in terms of student and staff outcomes and the reflective nature of the questions ensure the focus is around student learning. I am excited that there is this generic tool that all schools can adopt and we don't have to keep re-inventing the wheel as it often the case. It is something I am excited about and will be sharing this enthusiastically with our staff, principal and hopefully our BOT." - Vicki Lewis

Clearly defined dimensions

"It provides a clear framework – identifies key areas around existing strengths and needs –enables these needs to be matched against outcomes and professional development and investment required to fulfil the school’s vision and ensures the school measures the ongoing impact of planned actions." - Vicki Lewis

A foundation for community conversation

"I don't believe it is totally necessary for school leaders to be on top of the technology or use of technology. I do think they need to be aware of the capability of technology in relation to teaching and learning. This is where the e-Learning framework is incredibly powerful because the framework of "Emerging, Engaging, Extending, Empowering" is not just for students and teachers but for schools and their communities. The framework allows for communities of practice to emerge and increases the possibilities for leadership and leadership capacity." - Tim Grocott

Broad and inclusive scope

":we have a ... teacher who's going in with guns ablazing checking out COWs and ensuring wireless is throughout the school. ..I think [this can be supported] with a good look at the e-learning planning framework which will widen the scope and include a lot more of us in the decision making. I got really excited having a read of it and the associated documents as I realised that we don't have to come up with a completely original plan. The e-lpf is comprehensive, based on sound research and written by people with enthusiasm AND expertise!! The planning framework gives coherence and vision to 20th century learning. It might still be a difficult and slow process but I'm sure now, decile whatever, it's possible to realise the vision for Maori students to walk confidently in the world as global citizens." Ingrid Frengley-Vaipuna

If you have used it, it would be great for you to add a comment and let us know why YOUR school chose this tool.

[Image credit: CC Karen Melhuish Spencer with Tagxedo]

Replies

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 10 Jun 2013 11:56am ()

Many of the stories in this thread refer to school review. Here's a link to an article in the Education Gazette [4 June, 2013] that unpacks why the review and inquiry process is so important for effective school management.

Although the e-Learning Planning Framework is not specifically referred to, this article offers a useful overview of the review process, and it links to other tools provided for school review, as well.

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 18 Dec 2013 1:58pm ()

Kia ora koutou,

Just sharing a new school video story that is new on Enabling e-Learning which might be of interest to this group:

Irene Cooper, principal of Hillcrest Normal School in Hamilton, talks about the opportunities provided through e-learning to engage differently with students. Using the e-Learning Planning Framework, the school has completed a review and used this as a basis for their strategic planning. One particular focus is on multicultural aspects of the school for learning.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.