Search

Audio Note App

• Public
Started by Melissa Grant 04 Jun 2013 2:47pm () Replies (7)

A few weeks ago someone mentioned an app called Audio Note in this group.  It is a great way for children to proofread, edit and revise their writing.  The children typed in their writing then recorded it and listened to it as much as needed before making the changes/improvements to their work.  They then did a final recording of their writing and were amazed at the improvements they had made.  They were also really excited to be able to share their work with their parents as I said I would email their work to my email then upload them to the school website.  I really wanted a purpose and authentic audience for their writing.  Unfortunately I can only get the text and not the audio once exported.  Has anyone used this successfully to export the writing AND the audio?  I'm stuck!!  Or, is there another app that is better suited?  Many thanks in advance!

Replies

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 07 Jun 2013 4:41pm ()

That sounds like an interesting app, I will have a play with this over the weekend and let you know if I come up with an idea :-)

• Diane Mills (View all users posts) 07 Jun 2013 4:46pm ()

I am not sure about Audio Note, but I was looking at StoryKit, which seemed to have possibilities.  Students are able to write a story, illustrate it if they wish with a limited selection of drawing tools, or upload a photo or image, record themselves reading their story and then the story can be shared.  I think the recipient has the opportunity to listen to the recording and read the text as well.

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 07 Jun 2013 5:12pm ()

I have had a bit of a play with it in the past and went back to check - initial impression largely unchanged, nice and tidy but I feel other apps do more. You seem to need the paid version to email or send over wifi. So not sure if it links to Dropbox/WebDav. I think I would put my money towards Explain Everything  which allows multipage recording - children could write on page one - record it - listen, duplicate on page 2 (simple to do) and edit then re - record - real beforre and after captured. Then export to Camera roll, Dropbox, WebDav etc or even share as an editable file.

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 07 Jun 2013 5:16pm ()

Thanks for the suggestion, another thing added to my iPad to do list for the weekend:-)

• Mark Edwards (View all users posts) 07 Jun 2013 10:23pm ()

StoryKit works well. It is incredibly easy to use does all Diane mentions and you can click on an icon on every page to playback a recording of them reading the page. The ability of iPod/iPad to manage multi-media easily really shines in this program. Only glitch is sometimes we have trouble using the record function.

• Melissa Grant (View all users posts) 08 Jun 2013 7:17pm ()

Interesting discussion, thanks everyone. Having looked at audio note indepthly I went and had a look at explain everything which I liked a lot (Thanks Innes!). I liked the way you can record over previous recordings which is the function I was after in relation to the learning intention around proofreading and editing. It's also very easy to export a video or picture to different web based applications. Using multiple pages also shows the child's process which is really important. And...  When the wireless is down you can save it to the camera roll which is handy!! I'm going to use Explain Everything on Monday and Tuesday then share the work via the school website and share it with parents on Wednesday evening as we are having a BYOD information evening as the school begins its mobile learning journey...!

Will investigate Story Kit next. 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.