Search

Options in your classroom?

• Public
Started by Chrissie Butler 27 May 2013 4:07pm () Replies (5)

In the video Joe's Non-Netbook, Joe comically illustrates the limitations of hard copy text.

How do you provide options to support access to information and the engagement of all learners in your classroom? Where can the effective use of technology make a difference?

If you are interested in thinking more about the benefits of creating flexible resources, check out some the UDL links and resources in the left hand menu.

Replies

• Anne Sturgess (View all users posts) 27 May 2013 5:13pm ()

Have you seen this site where the teacher discusses the 'flipped classroom' approach and how he applied UDL principles to ensure all students are learning and able to show their learning? 

EXCERPT from the site

Sams and Bergmann turned to the Universal Design for Learning, a set of curriculum principles that maintains students need more than one way to learn information and more than one way to demonstrate knowledge. Following the second principle, the two teachers allowed their students to show they understood the material any way they wanted. Sams said he received songs, welding projects and even hand-drawn graphic novels. He admits those didn’t help the students take standardized tests, but they showed chemistry understanding, his main goal. 

• Chrissie Butler (View all users posts) 27 May 2013 6:45pm ()

Cheers Anne that's cool to link UDL to the flipped classroom. Good to to hear Sam and Bergman working to evolve the model, which is often lets just make a video, to shape it around creating flipped options for their group of learners.

For those folk who are unfamiliar with the principles of UDL, here's my UDL overview (with feet):

Overview of UDL (with feet)

To dig a bit deeper, a good place to start is the UDL overview on Maryland Links.

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 27 May 2013 5:54pm ()

Yes, Aaron Sams and Jon Bergmann came a long way from their sage on the stage approach after they had seen the benefits of videoing their instruction for students.  Great examples of developing your teaching to meet the needs of all.

• Margaret Lamont (View all users posts) 28 May 2013 11:26am ()

Have you seen the recent survey by the National Literacy Trust in the UK that suggests "young people are much more likely to prefer to read on a computer screen rather than a printed book or magazine": http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22540408 

Some key findings from the full report: 'Children's and young people's reading today': 

• 50% of young people enjoy reading either “very much” or “quite a lot”; 10% of

young people do not enjoy reading at all and 38% only enjoy reading “a bit” (see

Table 8, p. 24).

• 30.8% of young people read outside of class every day, with another 28.2%

reading a few times a week. However, 21.6% of young people say that they rarely

or never read outside of class (see Table 13, p. 30).

• In 2005 77% of children read magazines, now just 57% do, comic reading

dropped from 64% to 50% and reading on websites dropped from 64% to 50%

(see Figure 3, p.10).

• Technology-based formats, such as text messages (63.2%), websites (50.4%)

and messages on social networking sites (49.9%) are most commonly read

materials outside of class at least once a month. Magazines (57.0%) and fiction

(47.8%) are the most common non-technology reading choices (see Table 10, p. 26).

• 72.9% of young people read paper-based materials, while 63.8% read using a

computer and 55.9% read on their mobile phone. 20.4% of young people say that

they read using an iPad, while 21.1% read using other electronic devices. Only

8.8% of young people say that they read using a Kindle (see Table 12, p. 29). Most

young people (62%) say that they read paper-based materials as well as at least

one technology-based medium. Only 17.8% say that they just read paper-based

texts, while a fifth (20.2%) say that they do not read any paper-based texts at all.

• Many young people thought positively about reading (see Tables 16.1 to 16.8, pp. 36).

76.4% agree that “the more I read, the better I become”, and 33.5% agree that

“reading is cool”. However 27.2% agree that “I don’t read as well as other pupils

in my class”, 26.5% of young people agree that “I only read when I have to” and

26.5% agree that “I find things to read that interest me”. 17.4% of young people

agree that “I would be embarrassed if friends saw me read”. However, more than

half of young people (53.8%) agree that “I prefer watching TV to reading”.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.