Search

iPad apps and proxy settings - filtering......

• Public
Started by Carol Kendall 23 May 2013 4:21pm () Replies (24)

In one of the schools I work in we have a problem with some iPad apps (eg Sock Puppets) requesting an Admin password to a proxy setting. Apparently, there is a known issue with some apps and the proxy settings.  The solution, apparently, is to remove the proxy settings on the iPads. However this will create another issue.

By bypassing the server the school will lose the parental control filters built into the server, meaning any site on the internet will be available to the iPad users. These students are up to Year 6 in age. The way around this is apparently to download a parental control/filtering iPad app and use this on each iPad.

The Principal would not like to have the iPads unfiltered, and would like to have the filtering app installed on the iPads before we remove the proxy setting.

I have been asked to find out if there are apps that can do this, and if so, are any of them any good, and how complicated are they to use. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks!

Replies

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 16 Jun 2014 2:17pm ()

There is an Android group on the VLN. You may like to ask tat question there.

Here is the link to it.

/groups/profile/706321/androids-in-the-classroom

• Nix (View all users posts) 16 Jun 2014 1:24pm ()

I was wondering if anyone knows a way around 'smart net' /schoolzone proxy server with android tablets? we've managed to set up ipads to bypass the proxy but cant seem to do the same with samsung tablets.  If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated

• Coral Butler (View all users posts) 18 Jun 2013 7:14pm ()

We initially bought Apple Tv and large screen- ipads could connect easily but not the macbooks so I bought Air Parrot which was excellent, since then MacOS has updated its software to connect in a straighforward way through apple tv. All the children -New Entrants included can share their screens independently.

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 18 Jun 2013 5:41pm ()

Hi Coral

Why did you switch from Air Parrot to Apple TV?

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 18 Jun 2013 5:40pm ()

Yes, I'm thinking the Reflector app on a computer will (from what you said earlier) be running through a different wifi system. You do need a robust wifi network for things to work well, too.

• Coral Butler (View all users posts) 18 Jun 2013 1:52pm ()

We run our laptops and ipads through apple tv very smoothly for sharing on TV screen.  Air Parrot is the how we did this previously.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5209

• Melissa Grant (View all users posts) 18 Jun 2013 11:53am ()

I will double check that for you Carol. As far as I know, the Apple TV is on the iPad wi-fi so that it works without any issues. It have tried the reflector app and while it does work it was pretty intermittent streaming video and could crash quite easily. I'm into the Raspberry Pi as a cheaper alternative to the a Apple TV, we have it at home!

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 17 Jun 2013 9:14pm ()

That's great to know, thank you Melissa.

Tell me, the fact that the iPads are usually on a separate wifi network to the laptops - does that cause issues when trying to use software like the Reflector app or Apple TV to airplay iPad screens? I thought they had to be on the same wifi network. Just wondering about possible complications of having the separate wifi network.

• Melissa Grant (View all users posts) 17 Jun 2013 7:51pm ()

In most the schools I work with the iPads are on a separate wireless network to the school laptops which goes straight out to the Internet with no filtering. This avoids any issues with downloading apps and browsing safari and it also stops the frustration for teachers giving them the anywhere, anytime pedagogy. Because these devices don't have the tight filtering it makes the teaching of digital citizenship crucial. No filtering is 100% and it is important that we teach the children the realities of technology so they are best served to make the right decisions in their life. 

• Sylvie Vasar (View all users posts) 12 Jun 2013 8:44pm ()

Thanks Craig,

Very clearly explained.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.