Minecraftedu v Regular Account

• Public
Started by Caroline Bush 22 May 2013 11:02am () Replies (5)

Wonderings from a non-gamer...

For those already using MInecraft with their classes are you using the Edu version or a regular account?

What are the affordances/constraints of either. All advice/wonderings gratefully appreciated....

Replies

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 22 May 2013 11:43am ()

We are using one regular inexpensive (about $30) account which is on an offline server.  It certainly has enough to keep us learning for a while!  I can get 60 players on one multiplayer world or into single player worlds from this one account.

The world is offline so no worries about hackers from the online world!

See what Theo is doing, for example.  Theo uses a single player world after school as he is one of the teacher's children.  I have 36 intermediate students using the world at one time on Wednesday afternoons as part of a arts and culture elective block.

• Caroline Bush (View all users posts) 22 May 2013 5:44pm ()

Wow! Totally love it - the possibilities are huge. I love the way using the technology is so natural for these learners. I often relate myself to Sugata Mitra's 'Granny Cloud' when I'm looking into using Minecraft, being that I'm the granny standing behind the learner making encouraging noises yet knowing nothing about what is going on.

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 22 May 2013 6:53pm ()

ROFL, Caroline, that is me to a t!!! Every now and then I manage to make some semi-intelligent sounding comment but I wonder when my oldest son will click on to the fact that I have no idea what he is talking about! Saying that, by osmosis I have picked up more than I thought and when I talked to some kids at Ahuroa School recently, I didn't make myself look like a complete dummy - so maybe I'm on the 'aunty cloud' :-)

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 17 Jun 2013 12:56pm ()

Caroline, I've got underway with MinecraftEDU this term. You can see the most recent part of the journey on the Springston Minecrafters Blog (I've made notes only for my earlier reflections and preparation but haven't had time to post them yet). There was a post on our News Blog, too, about having the students teaching the teacher (me!).

I've purchased, through MinecraftEDU, 15 game licences plus a copy of the Classroom Edition (through which I run the MinecraftEDU server. This is run only within the school, through the school wifi network. The server software is switched off outside of the Minecraft session which is only for an hour and a half on a Thursday. The Minecraft is installed on 13 computers in our Macbook pod, plus the iMac that runs as the server, plus my personal Macbook Pro. I managed to get it up and running with the help of a 13 year old student at school, who is a Minecraft Expert on PC. He's been amazing. 12 students, plus myself, plus the server run at the same time. Any number of students could use the Minecraft software on the Macbooks, but it can only be installed on the number of laptops I have licences for.

The use of gaming in the classroom has long been an interest of mine, and I'm completely new to Minecraft - a great reminder of what challenging learning can be like, and HOW we go about the experience of learning. This Minecraft experience is part of my teacher inquiry. It's difficult because I don't have my own class. But teachers have been amazing and have allowed me to have an hour of class time, plus I have the two half hour breaks either side of that.

I've made a YouTube playlist of Minecraft videos I've found useful or interesting, and I've just created a Delicious list of my Minecraft bookmarks, too. I hope you find them useful!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.