Search

how to manage a 2 ipad/classroom?

• Public
Started by pjolr 20 May 2013 3:55pm () Replies (7)

Hi I'm a Year 2/3 teacher. We have just brought ipads in our school this year. We only have 2 per classroom in a full primary. Any suggestions for how to make the most of them?

Thanks

Replies

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 20 May 2013 4:18pm ()

Hi, have a look at this - 5 Free Apps for Classrooms with a Single iPad | Fluency21 – Committed Sardine Blog (looks like their server is down right now, I couldn't get to the page at this moment but I've beent here before). There will be lots of great suggestions coming your way ont he VLN, this is just a quick one to start you off :-) Cheers, Monika

• Jill Hammonds (View all users posts) 20 May 2013 4:29pm ()

Hi there,

iPads are great for your writing and reading programmes so can be part of a group rotation.  For example you might use them for 2-3 chn per iPad to watch an interesting Youtube movie as motivation for writing and harvesting of vocabulary, and to then use Google presentation to recreate a story. For example there is a great video of a bald eagle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hecXupPpE9o) catching a salmon that they could watch and focus on the wings, feet/claws and beak and how they use these to catch and devour their prey.  They could freeze frame some of the video to capture pictures and then make their presentation into a story.

Pic Collage is a free app where they can combine pictures, drawings and text to create their own stories.

Popplet Lite is a great mindmapping app they could use to plan their storywriting and its so simple they can teach themselves how to use it - just double tap the screen to get started.  You could also use this app to storyboard a drama and then capture the drama using Sock Puppets.

Use the Voicethread app to tell their stories and then share on their blogs to get audience feedback.

The possibilities are endless, but for me it always starts with knowing what learning intentions I have for the students, and then going and hunting for the tools that will achieve that.  Check out Lenva Shearing's wikis on Cool Tools for Schools http://cooltoolsforschools.wikispaces.com and the app section is a link from the navigation - near the bottom.

Have fun!

• Josie Woon (View all users posts) 20 May 2013 5:32pm ()

Hi I have 2 iPads in my year 2/3 class.  I have identified learning needs for children that I hen use the iPads to help support.  This would be the easiest way to initially look for free apps.  I found the app shaieng thread on here a wonderful source of information.  I also have a blog which journal the first year with the iPads and apps that I use in my classroom.  I can send you link if you would like a look.  Best way is to introduce a few to the class and watch how they use them, let their needs guide the next steps.  Don't go too big and ensure lessons on the way to carry, take photos, pass to a friend, where to use them etc.  good luck

• Joy Kitt (View all users posts) 20 May 2013 7:50pm ()

One way to make the most of them is to make sure they are used by 2  or 3 kids at a time as their conversations will be helpful for their combined learning but will also give you insight into how they are thinking. "Show me" is a drawing programme that also records voice so you can record how they explain somethig then listen to what they said as it replays the drawing / demonstrating process too.  Multi maths is acool maths add/sub/ multiplication programme that is really best played in a group. 

• Lynette (View all users posts) 21 May 2013 6:46am ()

Hi, I have 5 iPads in my Year 4 classroom and have found Pic Collage also allows the children to include their own drawings by taking a photo and editing it. Then they add descriptions to their writing piece. The Puppetpals app helps to make their stories come to life although the Director's Pass does have a minimal cost. Math Slide allows 4 players to learn basic facts. The app Wings is extremely popular. I was told about Bitsboard and try Too Noisy, click on i and more to add more classroom organisation e.g. Classroom Dice and Random Name Selector for example. 

Thank you for the other ideas too especially for writing.

Keep having fun.

• pjolr (View all users posts) 30 May 2013 9:31am ()

Thanks for all the suggestions, lots to work through. 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.