Search

Blog links

• Public
Started by Suzie Vesper 16 May 2013 9:54pm () Replies (14)

Hi all - I've literally just set up our classroom blog but this got me thinking about making some connections to other blogs using this forum. You might have heard of quad-blogging where the classes spend a week focusing on each blog of the four schools in the group. I wondered if we could do something similar amongst ourselves. Anyone else keen?  Our first blog post is now up:

http://mtproom13blogsters.blogspot.co.nz/

Replies

• Karen Mills (View all users posts) 17 May 2013 9:04am ()

Hi Susie,

Here is my class blog and there are links down the side to my Ind student blogs. Your kids might like to comment on my kids posts? Do your kids have their own blog?

Karen

• Heather Harper (View all users posts) 17 May 2013 9:38am ()

Hi Karen and Susie

I am always internested in what teachers are using to create and manage individual blogs for their students so I can pass this on to the classroom teachers at my school. Do you use Edmodo? Are you a Google School ?  Or are their other ways...

Heather

• Anne Ditcher (View all users posts) 17 May 2013 10:21am ()

Hi

We have a class blog and individual blogs and, like Karen, our class blog has links down the side to the individual blogs. Our class blog is room7rps.blogspot.co.nz. Please visit us and comment.

We tried Quadblogging but it wasn't successful because all our holidays were different to those of the Northern hemisphere. I would love to do something similar amongst ourselves. I set up the blogging system so the kids could have an authentic audience for their work but we get few comments.

We are a Google school with Hapara Teacher Dashboard, so all our senior kids have Google accounts with gmail, docs, blogger etc. Creating individual blogs was initially time-consuming as it had to be done manually but with Dashboard I can easily monitor what they are posting on their blogs. I moderate all comments before they are published but that's not a big kob as we don't yet have a lot of comments.

Anne

• Candy Hart (View all users posts) 17 May 2013 5:47pm ()

I have started linking to other blogs and this has been very successful in making links with other schools.  

I would love to start Quadblogging!! A great idea.

Candy

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 17 May 2013 5:55pm ()

I just spoke about quadblogging within NZ with one of my junior teachers the other day. Would someone be prepared to run a "Quadblogging Aotearoa" group on the VLN? Not in competition with QuadBlogging.net, rather as an extension of our PLNs on the VLN?

• justin hickey (View all users posts) 18 May 2013 1:16pm ()

Hi Heather. I use edmodo and our students all have google docs accounts. I find edmodo really good for posting homework, and we also use if for 'flipping" our maths lessons as it easy to create groups and link or embed video to individual groups. Have had difficulty generating interest in our blog as well. Was set up to give kids authentic audience and I have blog writing as one of my writing rotations, but most interest is prodded by me.

Dont know if I would be willing to run quadblogging Aotearoa exclusively on my own, but I would be willing to help set it up.

Justin

• Barbara Reid (View all users posts) 18 May 2013 4:56pm ()

Hi All

I would be happy to co-ordinate Quadblogging Aotearoa. I can set up a google form and then set up groups. Any suggestions welcome.

• Suzie Vesper (View all users posts) 18 May 2013 5:38pm ()

Cool - Quadblogging Aotearoa sounds like a great idea.  Are you going to set up the VLN group too Barbara?

As for what we are using, we have Google Docs for the kid's work and for things like online homework sheets and my own planning and assessment. I also use Edmodo as a kind of internal dialogue space with a place to put links for specific stuff we are working on as well.  I now plan the blog to be our 'outwards face' where we share some stuff with our parents and other students.

• Barbara Reid (View all users posts) 18 May 2013 6:11pm ()

Quadblogging Aotearoa vln group here - /groups/profile/806819/quadblogging-aotearoa

Still under construction. Hopefully we can go LIVE tomorrow.

• Susan Feron (View all users posts) 18 May 2013 7:51pm ()

I havn't set up blogs yet but it is on my to do list.  I would be keen for my class to join in with quad blogging. 

We have individual gsites that I will link their blogs to.

• Kathy Hughes (View all users posts) 19 May 2013 10:15pm ()

Hi All,

I'd definitely be interested in quadblogging. I've been guiding posts on individual blogs to date (thanks for the motivation to even set these up Karen) and would love to see a culture of engagement develop through exposure to a wider audience. I'd be keen to be involved in Quadblogging Aotearoa : )     teamtotara8.blogspot.co.nz

• Barbara Reid (View all users posts) 19 May 2013 10:30pm ()

Hi Kathy. Quadblogging Aotearoa is all good to go. Join up to the group for more info and  fill in the google form.

• Kathy Hughes (View all users posts) 19 May 2013 10:34pm ()

Thanks Barbara, will do. Exciting!!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.