Search

Chromebooks

• Public
Started by Fiona Robertson 10 May 2013 8:32pm () Replies (8)

Hi we are looking at chromebooks at our school. I am wanting to know what the benefits of them are? What are the downsides of them? does anyone have examples of programs or items that students have created using them. 

Thanks Fiona

Replies

• Helen Prescott (View all users posts) 29 Sep 2013 4:29pm ()

Vicki,

Glad it was helpful.  Sounds like we are in a similar situation to you, with a range of devices and some big decisions to make around our next steps.  I have to keep going back to what does the learning look like (the why), and how do the devices support that. I've been researching the SAMR model for 8 months now which has really opened my eyes to a way forward with making that 'shift' in teachers thinking which is so critical.  Happy to talk more, email me at helenp@sunnyhills.school.nz.

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 29 Sep 2013 5:05pm ()

Totally agree Helen. The more I explore SAMR with teachers the better the contexts they develop for some of the digital decisions they make and the better their understanding of why they use certain apps and approaches. We need to keep our eye on the development of rich media that contains significant student voice, has real qualities of individual ownership and can integrate text, images, drawing, audio, video and pull them all together into a cohesive resource that is editable, manageable and shareable. This needs to be possible at 5. Start with the vision.

• Gerard Macmanus (View all users posts) 30 Sep 2013 6:06pm ()

@Helen, are you going to share some of your research on thw SAMR model? We are preparing for the change at year 9, The SAMR model is one that Orewa college are using and the lead teachers at school would like some more information.

• Helen Prescott (View all users posts) 30 Sep 2013 8:35pm ()

@Gerard  Absolutely.  I have presented twice online and am about to present at ULearn. 

Here's the link to my online presentations which I've blogged about http://helenselearningjourney.blogspot.co.nz/2013/06/samr-roadmap-to-ict-integration.html

I will upload my ULearn presentation to my blog once I have presented on Tuesday at ULearn.  Am more than happy to anyone about it.  Feel free to come to my Presentation at ULearn (Breakout 3)!Laughing

• Vicki Maguire (View all users posts) 28 Sep 2013 5:33pm ()

@Helen, that is a great review, very much worth th read.
    We currently have a range of device types available in our school and have some serious decisions to make as where to next. I a currently looking at chrome books vs. ipads so your reflection certainly helps clarify a few things. 

• Helen Prescott (View all users posts) 10 May 2013 8:44pm ()

Otherwise Fronde in Auckland have demo chromebooks to trial for free.  Here is a reflection I wrote on chromebooks last year.  http://www.helenselearningjourney.blogspot.co.nz/2012/12/chromebooksgoogleappsoffice-365.html?m=1

the Manaiakalani Trust useChromebooks as well as Bucklands Beach Int.  we are considering them. 

• Helen Prescott (View all users posts) 10 May 2013 8:39pm ()

Hi Fiona,  FYI. Register if you can.

On Wednesday 15th May Norrcom and Google are hosting a presentation from the Goole Chromebook for Education Asia Pacific regional manager. This is a no cost presentation (Norrcom will provide morning tea) to cover several key aspects of using Google and the Chromebook in the classroom. Our aim is to inform not sell, educate and not dictate so no chequebooks necessary. I thought it a good idea to go over BYOD in schools as well so I will have some of my senior technicians on hand as well as devices to see and play with.

Numbers are limited so I ask you reply ASAP to sales@norrcom.com.

This is a morning session starting at 9.30amand concluding before lunch. This is to be held at Stonefields School, Mt Wellington.

Agenda

1. Introduction

2. Product overview

3. Hardware and Chrome Management Console

4. Using the web as a platform for learning

5. Q/A

6. Chromebooks as an ideal device in a BYOD environment

Other things - 

1. Hands on demo and let users play with device

2. Explain how Norrcom and Google work together

Paul Norris

Managing Director

Emailpaul.norris@norrcom.com

Mob029 905 6940

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.