Search

Locking settings on an ipad

• Public
Started by Robyn Wood 08 May 2013 8:58am () Replies (10)

Hi

Does anyone know of a way to make the 'settings' part of the ipad inaccessable to young children who like exploring?  Thanks heaps - Robyn 

Replies

• Leah Breeds (View all users posts) 08 May 2013 9:19am ()

Not quite what you are after - but have you tried guided access? This locks the child INTO a particular app, so doesn't give them access to anything except what you want them to play. Very clear instructions for turning it on and then using it with specific apps here: http://www.imore.com/how-enable-guided-access-iphone-and-ipad 

Once it's enabled in your settings area you simply open the app you want, triple tap the home button, then click start. You have to enter a passcode and then give it the child. They can't quit the app without the passcode. 

• Neil_V (View all users posts) 08 May 2013 11:40am ()

The best advantage I've found with Guided Access vs Restriction (both have their uses) is that a forgotten password in a 'guided access' session can be reset by a hard reset, and thne just turning it off in settings. Also by locking kids into a selected app, they CAN'T get to the settings menu or add/delete anything anyway [or change the volume either!!] :)

Though it does require slightly more setup time, I have found it far more useful than the current restriction options offere (again, you could combine the two if needed)

• Robert Bale (View all users posts) 08 May 2013 9:26am ()

One thing I feel you should do is to turn off the options for installing and deleting apps.

Turn on Restrictions

You can turn on these parental controls by going into the ipads settings, choosing general settings from the menu on the left and then scrolling down until you see Restrictions.

Once in the Restrictions settings, touch Enable Restrictions at the top. This will ask you for a four digit passcode. This passcode is used to change the restrictions settings in the future, so make sure it is not something your child will easily guess.

In Restrictions you can turn off, Installing Apps and Deleting Apps. 

• Tara Fagan (View all users posts) 08 May 2013 10:16am ()

I agree, restrictions is a great option particularly in terms of stopping the deleting, installing of apps and buying of in-app purchases.  Just a word of caution about using this -   if the restriction code is forgotten, the entire iPad needs to be restored which means all settings and content, including student work will be erased during the restore process.  

It is a good idea that school sets of iPads either have the restrictions codes written and stored in the office or that Syndicates use the same restriction code on their devices so that more than one person knows the restriction code.

• Andy Parker (View all users posts) 08 May 2013 10:30am ()

If you're able to use one of the Mobile Device Management solutions (like Meraki/Casper/Airwatch) you can set many of these restrictions onto the devices remotely. Also, many of these systems give you the ability to remove a passcode if one has been set and forgotten.

• Robyn Wood (View all users posts) 08 May 2013 10:36am ()

Hi Andy

We are using Meraki.  Are you able to tell me if I can restrict access to the settings from this.  Our problem is not to do with installing / deleting apps but rather with small children changing lots of the settings found insider the settings part of the ipad.  (if that makes sense).

• Andy Parker (View all users posts) 08 May 2013 12:10pm ()

Hi Robyn,

When you are logged into your Meraki console, on the left-hand side go to Mobile, then Profiles  and create a profile.

Next, click Settings on the left hand side and on the Restrictions tab check the box to Enforce Restrictions.

You can't keep users out of the Restrictions settings, but can stop some of the settings from being changed.

• Iain Cook-Bonney (View all users posts) 08 May 2013 11:14am ()

As far as I know, you cannot do this as you want to. The best solution is to use restrictions and guided access.

Meraki systems manager is awesome, and will let you set up the restrictions across all your ipads.

I agree with Leah, I find that the guided acces works really well with junior students, and it keeps them focussed on the app that they are supposed to be using!

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 11 May 2013 10:26am ()

I do all of the above but also put the Settings app in a folder so it is not overtly obvious. I know some people who then move the folder to the eleventh screen so kids have to scroll through a heap of blank screens to get to to it.

For some kids, 'Find the Settings' might be a game in itself.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.