Search

Maori Maps Dot Com

• Public
Started by Aiono Manu Faaea-Semeatu 24 Apr 2013 3:01pm () Replies (5)

A really cool website to use with Maori learners is Maori Maps - www.maorimaps.com

This site is bilingual and shows you how to connect with the all of the different marae around the motu.

Kids will be able to see how they can keep in touch with their iwi and hapu and it can also be used as a good discussion point with teachers. i.e. use in Social Studies and History classes. 

Replies

• DiWilkes (View all users posts) 29 Apr 2013 11:03am ()

Thanks Manu. This is a great resource for schools.  The fact that it is bilingual is terrific.  I'm sure there are a variety of ways to use it.  Has anyone used it successfully in their learning programme?  How?

• Aiono Manu Faaea-Semeatu (View all users posts) 29 Apr 2013 4:27pm ()

I'm not sure if anybody has used it in their learning programmes yet.

From a secondary perspective, I would use it as a way to engage students in Social Studies in the junior school when looking at the History of NZ, Tangata Whenua and bi-culturalism.  

At the senior level for History, students could compare the way in which the information about each marae has been collated into virtual space and consider how indigenous knowledge is protected, the impact of technology on history...

• DiWilkes (View all users posts) 30 Apr 2013 11:11pm ()

Thanks Manu.  Fantastic suggestions. Your second suggestion:"compare the way in which the information about each marae has been collated into virtual space and consider how indigenous knowledge is protected, the impact of technology on history" could be refined for an amazing Masters thesis too!

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 01 May 2013 6:02am ()

Thanks for adding this Manu.  A lot of schools have Marae noho (Visits/Stays on Marae) so this is a great resource to gain some information about the Marae, Hapū, Iwi prior to visiting.  The information available may help students/whānau/kaiako prepare their mihimihi to acknowledge the Whare of the Marae, Hapū & Iwi.  Knowing the names of these places, hapū & iwi prior to visiting is awesome because sometimes you may actually miss the kōrero or names during mihimihi unless of course you have really good taringa flap flaps.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

MoToMa MaP

MoToMa MaP

MoToMa MaP Moana, Togi and Manu - Māori and Pasifika Educator MaPinjas Wannabe Ninjas on a Learning with Digital Technologies Tip!