Search

ICT school guidelines

Started by Shane 15 Apr 2013 10:14pm () Replies (25)

Hi I have started to put together a list of all the skills required for each age group in schools. I know most of what Year 5-6 students should do, but havent taught in the lower or upper ends of schooling. Our school goes from Year 1-8 and I would like to have a clear guideline of skills students should have around ICT. Does anyone have any ideas, charts etc that I could look at to formulate a way forward for our school. Thanks...

Replies

• Shane (View all users posts) 19 Apr 2013 10:08am ()

Hi Warren, I downloaded the App, but can't seem to add a class or manipulate to create badges, do I have to go through some other site to set this up?

Cheers

shane

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 17 Apr 2013 10:25am ()

There’s nothing like a great debate to help provide clarity and to re-think a view on an issue. Thank you everyone, rich ideas discussed here. Key points emerging for me are:

• Teachers need to know what to teach - ICT related skills
    • Students needs to know a core set of ICT related skills
    • Effective pedagogy as well as 'just-in-time' vs 'just-in-case' learning
    • What are we trying to achieve and assess in relation to ICT skills?

I have to agree, ICT or e-learning is not a learning area. The NZ Curriculum reads,

...e-learning may:

• assist the making of connections by enabling students to enter and explore new learning environments, overcoming barriers of distance and time
    • facilitate shared learning by enabling students to join or create communities of learners that extend well beyond the classroom
    • assist in the creation of supportive learning environments by offering resources that take account of individual, cultural, or developmental differences
    • enhance opportunities to learn by offering students virtual experiences and tools that save them time, allowing them to take their learning further.

If we wanted to teach our students ICT related knowledge and skills, then this would best be framed within our understandings of what is effective e-learning pedagogy. Thank you for sharing broader rubrics to help with this process, Sonya and TeAhua.

I also agree with Andrew, that deliberate acts of teaching for; file management type tasks, some understandings about different interfaces, as well as digital citizenship - are wise choices. I just keep thinking - technology changes rapidly and interfaces are becoming a lot more intuitive.

For example: My two year old navigated his way around an iPad with little instruction. At four, we banned him from the settings! So yes general rules for appropriate and safe use - a must. Having said that, what’s good for one child may not be appropriate for all children.

Like Nicky, I have introduced learning tasks to students - given them some ‘sand-pit’ time to investigate the application (that supports the inquiry), shown them a few aspects of the interface and then introduced an open-ended task. The thing about e-learning tools, is that they are not linear, so any linear-type, step-through process has missed a rich opportunity for some real creativity.

I could be wrong (and would love more debate Smile), I think when the teachers need a set of skills checklist, it’s more about the teacher's uncertainty about what to teach? Yes the students need some basics, but as noted in, Alternatives to ICT skills checklists,

Effective teaching for all students depends on the teachers to become confident/capable users of ICTs/e-learning. This includes knowing how to integrate ICTs/e-learning effectively into their teaching practice. 

This link also shares 5 models of teacher audits and continuums, including Unesco’s  Competency Framework for Teachers - which links nicely with some of the thinking behind the e-Learning Planning Framework. The understanding here is, that teachers need focused PLD to help build the skills, knowledge, confidence and capabilities - to authentically integrate ICT in the curriculum.

Thank you Andy for sharing about your teacher ICT amnesty type sessions. I’d like to hear more about these. Smile

As the e-Learning Planning Framework states in the Teaching and Learning | Pedagogy strand, Emerging descriptors read:

• TEACHER: The use of technologies may be a supplement or ‘one-off’ activity to support teacher centred, didactic ways of teaching.

• IMPACT: Students use technologies as part of task completion or isolated skill-building. They respond to activities rather than collaborate or use prior knowledge.

As we work towards Empowering, the statements read,

● TEACHER: Pedagogy assimilates technology into blended, student-centred,collaborative learning experiences, based on evidence-based inquiry that reflects the principles of ako.

● IMPACT: Students independently and actively participate in authentic, culturally meaningful learning and are becoming safe, responsible digital citizens.

Shane, you're right when you say, 'balance is the way'. It’s all a process, and everyone is on different parts of the continuum. I'm just thinking, it might be more about, how we can empower our teachers to recognise the potential for e-learning in the curriculum and finding ways to support the effective use of this, rather than skills checklist per se?

Having said that, I'd love to be challenged more....

Other threads that may interest you are:

• Sonya Van Schaijik (View all users posts) 17 Apr 2013 7:09am ()

Hi Shane

We created this rubrics resource as part of our ICTPD a while back using SOLO taxonomy

http://newmarketsolo.wikispaces.com/file/view/KCSCP.pdf/136771557/KCSCP.pdf

However as Trevor and others have suggested-

it is already not working because the new tools make part of it outdated.

What SOLO encourages us to do is look for the deeper learner that takes place with any 'tool' or strategy that we use to develop the depth of learning.

Great discussion. Will pop back later.

Thanks for the link Tessa

• Andrew Wooster (View all users posts) 17 Apr 2013 7:07am ()

I agree mostly with you Andy. There are some skills that need teaching.  Kids don't know what they don't know. Sometimes class wide instruction is appropriate especially around cyber safety.  This argument reminds me a bit of the hand writing argument.  I suppose every teacher needs to ascertain whether or not class wide instruction would work best given whatever the circumstance me be.

• Nicky Clark (View all users posts) 17 Apr 2013 12:08am ()

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I have a Yr 5/6 class all with very differing ict skills. We use Blooms and Ryan's thinking keys to investigate our topic and we learn the ICT skills we need as and when we need them. The learning is still based on the curriculum and ICT is the tool that engages the students and enables them to investigate and present work to a far higher standard than they could before. When students are using ICT, I am assessing their achievement in English, Maths, Science etc - not in how well they can use ICT.

• Anne Cato (View all users posts) 16 Apr 2013 10:07pm ()

Great posting Tessa and thanks for the links to these resources

• Shane (View all users posts) 16 Apr 2013 9:58pm ()

Fair enough, I have some as young as 8 through to 10 so a younger age group. I think like anything ICT is but a tool to get an ends. The point you are making I could name my children who would fit into that type of process, unfortunately we are not all the same and some children need set lists to target and achieve too. If I didnt believe it would work I wouldnt spend above and beyond trying to find an answer. Put simply Balance is the way.

I think 'traditional' can also be seen wrong. Yes there are changes in ICT, but sometimes tradition paves the way for success for students and to allow them to be successful in school, which is far more information that knowing how to use fancy online tools. If I thought for a second ICT was getting in the way of my students I would drop it. Balance is important and being reflective, hence why it is great to discuss to see the different approaches we are taking as teachers:)

• Anne Cato (View all users posts) 16 Apr 2013 9:52pm ()

I think Andy and Trevor have summed this up very nicely. It all comes down to what are we using ICT's for? We don't see ICT as a subject but as a vehicle to create and share our learning. 

• Anne Cato (View all users posts) 16 Apr 2013 9:51pm ()

I think Andy and Trevor have summed this up very nicely. It all comes down to what are we using ICT's for? We don't see ICT as a subject but as a vehicle to create and share our learning. 

• Shane (View all users posts) 16 Apr 2013 9:49pm ()

Cool will have a look, any other information that I need to know?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.