Search

ICT school guidelines

Started by Shane 15 Apr 2013 10:14pm () Replies (25)

Hi I have started to put together a list of all the skills required for each age group in schools. I know most of what Year 5-6 students should do, but havent taught in the lower or upper ends of schooling. Our school goes from Year 1-8 and I would like to have a clear guideline of skills students should have around ICT. Does anyone have any ideas, charts etc that I could look at to formulate a way forward for our school. Thanks...

Replies

• TeAhua Park (View all users posts) 15 Apr 2013 10:31pm ()

Hi there.  I have looked at this model from Queensland schools.  it has some good indicators at differing year levels.  It may be a start.  http://education.qld.gov.au/smartclassrooms/documents/enabling-learners/pdf/student-ict-expectations.pdf

would love to see what you create and what others in nz use as well.  Good luck.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 16 Apr 2013 8:23am ()

Kia ora tatou, thanks so much for sharing this rubric from Queensland TeAhua. I especially like the indcators for research, creation, communication as well as safe and ethical practices, rather than purely skills-based checklists that can easliy get outdated.

Yesterday, I published a page in the VLN called, Alternatives to ICT skills checklists, which looks at the logistics of skills progression checklists or assessment rubrics for ICT.

There is a student example (bit dated), as well as example of an ICT audit for teachers. I have also created a more updated Student survey (Google doc) that people can add to, tweak or modify which combines questions for students about: access/knowledge/application/pedagogy of ICTs/e-learning tools.

In addition to this, I have shared an e-competencies rubric by Kellie McRobert and an example of IT philosophy originally shared in this MLE listserve from Ross Intermediate.

Hopefully there is something in there for you to trial or adapt too Shane?

• Anne Cato (View all users posts) 16 Apr 2013 10:07pm ()

Great posting Tessa and thanks for the links to these resources

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 16 Apr 2013 9:35am ()

Chris Leach in the UK has a wiki RethinkingICT looking at the introduction of their new curriculum from 2014. I have yet to explore it more, but I have started following him on twitter and his blog here. I am very interested to see how he tweaks his thinking and with that programmes - have a look and see if you find this relevant for your students :-)

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 16 Apr 2013 12:54pm ()

Hi Trevor,

I agree with you that engaging activites are the vehicle to learning ICT skills in a meaningful, authentic context. Yes, lists could lead to an endless ticking the boxes exercise. Like many other things in our curriculum, it's a matter of the schools' and teachers' pedagogy to make learning meaningful beyond ticking boxes. There are many examples in the NZ education system where teachers are required to 'tick boxes' (NS, NCEA etc.) and luckily this has not always lead to a narrow and disengaging way of delivery (tongue in cheek here).

Lately I have been thinking a lot about the SAMR model, how teachers might be on a continuum in their own ICT use and skills and especially in their e-learning pedagogy. Lists can be useful at the lower levels of that continuum -provided they don't get stuck there. How do we ensure this?

• andy gorton (View all users posts) 16 Apr 2013 12:57pm ()

I have to agree with Trevor here. Lists of skills will stifle. Concepts are the way to go.

I tell my staff to concentrate on 'Communication, Collaboration, Reflection, making appropriate choices, anytime/anywhere learning' (I add to the list every now and again.). Then, it doesn't matter if you are using ICT or not - the learning is the same. It's not easy though as the teachers want a particular tool to 'hook into'.

There may well be a few discrete skills that students will need to know e.g. Login, New, save, share etc but these skills change from site to site and application to application so very hard to teach other than generically e.g. "Find the way to save on your chosen site. It will be there somewhere (or an indicator that says auto-save"

cheers

Andy 

• Warren Grieve (View all users posts) 16 Apr 2013 2:21pm ()

Hi all... good discussion. I think focus on curriculum but have ICT rubrics that can be placed on the fly into evaluating the skills so that pupils can celebrate their progress but focus on the use of the tool for learning. Chck out my badge system that I have created (still being built as part of Mozillas Open Badges ) here. I think it marries the idea of learning with ICT skills quite nicely. What do you think? I have only just today released this. Badge System here, Rubrics for System here on my website.

• Shane (View all users posts) 16 Apr 2013 9:49pm ()

Cool will have a look, any other information that I need to know?

• Shane (View all users posts) 19 Apr 2013 10:08am ()

Hi Warren, I downloaded the App, but can't seem to add a class or manipulate to create badges, do I have to go through some other site to set this up?

Cheers

shane

• TeAhua Park (View all users posts) 16 Apr 2013 2:57pm ()

Hi all again.

Maybe I mis-interpreted list to meaning expectations, as what I shared was how to organise student
    expectations as they develop ICT competence and understandings effectively across all learning areas. 
    I do feel it is important to have certain skills and expectations that need to be taught when using ICT in inquiry, when creating, when communiticating, when talking about digital citizenship and cyber safety and when using ICT's.  And sometimes these expectations grow as students grow. As teachers, there are components that need to be explicity taught and sometimes these include ICT skills of use, so that early learners are scafolded.   "We didn't all learn to walk by just getting up and walking, although some of us may have".   We all need to have certain expectations in order for students to continue to learn and imporve on the skills they have.  Sometimes rubrics enable us to provide support tailored for differiated learners.  I am absoluetly agreeing with ICT not standing alone on the whole, but sometimes we do need to teach an ICT skill or using an app or program, in order to use it more boradly across the curriculum or to support teaching and learning. Just my thoughts.

• andy gorton (View all users posts) 16 Apr 2013 8:38pm ()

TeAhua wrote :"Sometimes rubrics enable us to provide support tailored for differiated learners.  I am absoluetly agreeing with ICT not standing alone on the whole, but sometimes we do need to teach an ICT skill or using an app or program, in order to use it more boradly across the curriculum or to support teaching and learning."

I agree that we do occasionally need to teach a discrete ICT skill but my argument is that we don't need 'skills charts' and the like. 

cheers

Andy

• Anjela Webster (View all users posts) 16 Apr 2013 9:02pm ()

Great thread... Tessa , thank you for a stunning resource and commentary in your post on this thread.  your links led to the your doc reflecting the work you've done on the notion of skills and conceptual/pedagogical approaches. Rich pickings! 

I think there are times when the exploration of a 'tool'(s) are going to need to be unpacked before they're able to be up taken and used effectively and with a degree of fluency, which is the goal at the end of the day- tools being used intuitively to serve the intended need, and desired outcome for the user.

im thinking specifically of an example such as Google Docs, and the myriad of tools and 'how best to' use these, requiring a degree of technical knowledge or it is downright frustrating. Im inclined to go with the idea that there are times when you choose as the teacher to walk your students through such a set of tools, with the shared understanding that there is an inspired purpose behind it, a great PBL focus on the boil ..so once familiarised, get into using them creatively, productively and confidently. 

Also, there are 'generic' skills that can be transferred from programme to programme, such as a focus on 'the Nav' bar, the 'tool' bar etc, and  are a part of digital literacy I believe, so perhaps it is all about Digitally literate teachers and students, but through the lens of a wide context that includes technical literacy as and when needed. 

Excellent contributions everyone :) 

• TeAhua Park (View all users posts) 16 Apr 2013 9:19pm ()

I was thinking about a school I was working with today.  Most of the teachers have a great vision for elearning that is...as you have mentioned Andy - that concentrates on 'Communication, Collaboration, Reflection, making appropriate choices, anytime/anywhere learning'.  Which I think is great (exactly what I think elearning should be about - and not just the tool)  but I noticed for the "less confident teachers" they really needed a list of things that they should concentrate on.  I found that interesting...as now I am thinking that lists of skills or programs/apps they could use, might really be benefical for a reluctant teacher in order to build his/her confidence in using technology...which isn't a bad thing...as a starting point. Some teachers are still not that comfortable to relinquishing control to their students and take on a facilitation role, or even a learner role.  So how can we support teachers in building their confidence?  Is it by using a list of skills that they can practise doing and hence show their students?  Just thought I'd throw that into the mix aswell. lol!  Would love some ideas! (Sorry Shane for slightly diverging). Laughing

I think there is a whole lot of great discussion here that has made me analyse my practice and adjust my perspective. So thank you all for your input. I guess as long as we are doing things that are relevant, purposeful, meaningful and beneficial for our learners...(not for the sake of ticking a box or doing it for the sake of it) we shouldnt go wrong.  Keep the discussion coming.  Smile

• Shane (View all users posts) 16 Apr 2013 9:28pm ()

Good point, I am challenged by this also. We have a number of laptops but the staff members under utilise them. They are not as comfortable working on them. It is something new to these staff members and I have got across the need to all have wikis and update them. They have bought in. My next challenge is to enhance their literacy on computers, as well as allowing them to let student in their class learn and communicate themselves through the tools they are using.

• Shane (View all users posts) 16 Apr 2013 9:25pm ()

Thanks Trevor for the challenging points. There are some great ideas here and I value all of these points.

I would have to disagree in some parts, in an ideal world everyone would agree on things and there would be no problems. Unfortunately unless we mandate, no one does certain things.

For example children I 'taught' set skills too are capable, confident and able to do tasks in no time. Usually within two sessions. I have a general list I would on each year, but have looked to finalise skills so that I am not left with such gaps in learn and vast learning differences when it comes to ICT.

An example is a group of students I have given two or three tasks to do. Those that I have worked with in my previously class who picked up the skills in my previous class and had my expectations were finished within two sessions. The 'other' children and those that didnt pay attention to set skill teaching have taken between two weeks to four weeks more catching up in class, in morning teas and lunch times. That for me is a for of comparison that would warrant a need for basic skills as well as skills taught around programs that you might use during the year.

If I dont get a mandate or set of criteria to follow students will come through not having done ICT because there is no expectation to do it. This is another good reason for a sheet of skills; for those in junior levels and middle schools who do not like doing these ICT based activities, there is not a reason for them to do it. Also it will allow for the school to lift expectation and put in place for Year 6, 7 and 8 expectations that will put them in a good place.

I would also agree that students should learn the concepts so that they can adjust to new situations. But... the problem is if they never get the chance to be in situations of ICT, how will they be able to deal with it when they are thrown in the deep end. Many other facts influence: computer numbers, other resources, home life and so forth. I would have to say that if you are in the position of not needing criteria that is fantastic and something to admire, but to build a house you need a foundation. Without it we are hitting and hoping things will stay there.

I value all your ideas, especially the good ones that challenge us to think about whether our practice is a practice worthy of pursuing. I have enjoyed reading each of the above posts and see VLN as something that bridges the gaps I have to have challenging ICT discussions in a small school with most who are at a beginning stage :-)

Also great resources Tessa throughout the variety of postings you are in:)

Join this group to contribute to discussions.