Search

What are the purposes of digital technologies in maths?

Started by Amy Chakif 10 Apr 2013 12:39pm () Replies (12)

Why do we want to use digital technologies in maths? What purpose do they serve?

Some possibilities for me include:

Eliciting greater engagement from students in their learning and also the opportunities for formative assessment that digital technologies offer.  Digital technologies can provide opportunities for students to view and assess their own learning.

Any other purposes that you are experiencing in your classrooms or know about?

Replies

• Vanitha Govini (View all users posts) 11 Apr 2013 9:52am ()
    A key purpose for me is that it encourages students to be active partcipants in their own learning. Digital technologies provides opportunities for students to share / communicate their learning with peers, parents and community.
    There are millions of reasons, but I will leave it for the other members.
  • Callie Ballara (View all users posts) 13 Apr 2013 7:14pm ()

My students will churn through infinitely more maths problems when playing a maths 'game' on the ipad than they ever did when given a worksheet. Better use of time, more engagement and the learning continues at home (trialling BYOD).

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 14 Apr 2013 2:42pm ()

Hi Amy, Vanitha and Callie, (and anyone else following this thread)

I agree it all starts with the engagement and this cannot be underestimated. Callie's point about the structure of online gaming where students move through maths problems solving them at an ever inceasing rate and of an increasing difficulty really strikes a chord with me too - I realise now that the children playing those board games I had spent hours creating were not actually playing them properly or solving anywhere near the number of maths problems they will be when using digital equivalents.  These are both points I make to teachers who show reluctance to make the shift.

On that note here is a great resource to show a range of apps for enhancing the learning of basic arithmetic in a classroom maths programme.

• Roxy Hickman (View all users posts) 15 Apr 2013 12:09pm ()

I agree Catriona, In a classroom setting students playing maths games provides little feedback to the teacher compared to many of the maths apps have score sheets or daily tracking for individual students. Some of these apps can provide constructive information about what students are achieving when they aren't with the teacher that can then be used with students to identify their progress and next steps. 

Splash Math is a great example of a maths app using weekly progress reports. 

• Vanitha Govini (View all users posts) 15 Apr 2013 4:45pm ()

Thanks for sharing some great ideas! Digital technologies can promote mathematical discourse in our classroom, if teachers provide opportunities for students to work collaboratively in solving problems. I have used digital learning objects extensively in my classroom as a teaching tool and an independent group activity where mixed ability students worked together collaboratively to solve problems. Students get to listen, share and create new mathematical knowledge  which could then be applied in other contexts. 

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 01 May 2013 3:24pm ()

Graph on computerAccessing digital resources in Maths, means the learning doesn’t have to be confined to the classroom – it can happen anywhere, anytime with anyone.

With m-learning (learning with mobile technologies) the learning can transcend time and space. It can become part of the flipped classroom pedagogy – where learning can happen between home and school. For instance my new entrant son has his own log in to Studyladder, where the teacher has set some digital learning activities for him. This gives us as parents - a connect with what he is learning at school.

Another great website for teachers, students and parents is Teacher Tools (described as a New Zealand version of Khan Academy). Sourced from a recent post from a VPLD member.

• Vanitha Govini (View all users posts) 01 May 2013 7:43pm ()

Thanks Tessa for sharing 'teacher tools' website. This website along with some apps like 'Educreations' and 'show me' could be used in the context of flipped classroom. Classroom time will be used to share, discuss and challenge their mathematical thinking.  Teachers need to explore these lessons in the light of students' needs before making suggestions to students. 

Digital technologies like little bird tales, voice thread and the apps mentioned above are very powerful for our English language learners who have some difficulty in sharing their mathematical thinking. Students could record and explain their thinking, listen to their own strategy and practice sharing. Great snapshot for teachers and parents as well!

What digital technologies have you trialled in your classroom to support our English language learners?

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 03 May 2013 4:45pm ()

Enjoying this kōrero - and I agree with previous comments related to providing different pathways for different learners.

I thought I'd share these snapshots of technology integration that currently sit on Software for Learning, several of which focus on maths. I particularly like the one using Dabbleboard as it's a nice exmaple of how technology can make problem-solving visible and then share it with the whānau as well. Sometimes, Maths and e-learning are discussed in relation to games and quizzes online, so this is a refreshing take on how we can make numeracy processes overt as well.Smile

• Vanitha Govini (View all users posts) 06 May 2013 4:53pm ()

Thanks Karen for sharing this resource. Looks like it is a one stop shop. 

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 07 May 2013 11:44am ()

The Dabbleboard Snapshot for Learning is a great example of using screencast technologies to capture how a students' thinking. Thanks for sharing Karen.

A wee while ago, St Mary's school in Tauranga shared how they were taking digital photos of paper versions of the students thinking in maths and then embedding these in their e-portfolios. The overriding purpose of their e-portfolios - was to, 'make thinking visible'

Inside the LMS, they also had information pages, to inform parents about several different number stategies/mental processes, that students might use, to arrive at their answers.  

The result? Students were able to visibly show how they solved problems, which provided an opportunity for parents to leave feedback online - about how they might to support their child's learning at home.

Kawaha Point School in Rotorua has also kept their parents informed online - about Mathematics in the New Zealand Curriculum, with some tips on how the can support their child's learning at home.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.