Search

The process to complete

• Public
Started by Shane 07 Apr 2013 10:41am () Replies (7)

BYOD in my view is an extension of what you already have in school. It is just that the students are able to increase the amount of time they can have access to one computer/tablet for themselves.

My principal was saying that a school had done a two year process to get BYOD in place, I believe this is unrealistic. I was wondering what others had done? Personally I think a term of looking at it, putting a policy in place and having a community consultation at the end would surfice.

One point he made was that there was problems with what they could access on their tablets... I don't think this is relevant as we already have laptops and the internet access would be the same on them as they would be for anyone who had BYOD.

Any thoughts on this process as I am down to two computers in my class and want the BYOD to go ahead asap as I have 4-6 students who will be able to bring their own devices in.

Replies

• Shona Poppe (View all users posts) 07 Apr 2013 11:19am ()

We are considering BYOD in the near future. We have over 600 children. We are waiting for UFB (August with any luck) and I want us to put in a few more access points for reliablility. Once we say yes to one group, we have sent a precedent and we'll quite possibly get pressure from our community for all the children to be able to bring their devices. We are also looking at a mobile device management system that will send a profile to their devices as they attach to our network and this will block or allow certain services on their devices in accordance with our school's policy. The restrictions are not only for the internet. (We also have current filtering). Once we have all our little ducks in a row, it shouldn't take 2 years to roll out. Our only restriction will be to ensure our network can cope with the traffic. Meltdowns don't go down well with anyone.

Along side of this, we are also working with teachers to develop a workflow system, so they are able to use this technology to their best advantage in the classroom. We curretly have 7 digital classes, so we are a good way down the track already.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.