Search

The process to complete

• Public
Started by Shane 07 Apr 2013 10:41am () Replies (7)

BYOD in my view is an extension of what you already have in school. It is just that the students are able to increase the amount of time they can have access to one computer/tablet for themselves.

My principal was saying that a school had done a two year process to get BYOD in place, I believe this is unrealistic. I was wondering what others had done? Personally I think a term of looking at it, putting a policy in place and having a community consultation at the end would surfice.

One point he made was that there was problems with what they could access on their tablets... I don't think this is relevant as we already have laptops and the internet access would be the same on them as they would be for anyone who had BYOD.

Any thoughts on this process as I am down to two computers in my class and want the BYOD to go ahead asap as I have 4-6 students who will be able to bring their own devices in.

Replies

• Kevin Byrne (View all users posts) 15 May 2013 4:26pm ()

Hi all

At New Plymouth GHS we have adopted an optional BYOD programme this year. Following a BOT led strategic committee starting from mid 2011 it became apparent that access to internet based learning facilities was imperative and that BYOD was a effective strategy to enable this. As we have a roll of 1250 and our site is a museum of differing educational architecture from early 1900 onwards, site wide WiFi is problematic. We currently have 70% of the learning spaces covered and working to develop this over time. Teachers are trialling BYOD at their own pace supported by a very collaborative staff culture. For those teachers who want to run with it, the opportunities are becoming realities, for those who are not there yet, no problem their time will come. Yes there are teething issues but its great to have the opportunities to transform the learning using BYOD as it becomes possible. We haven't taken away any ICT capability, rather added to it. I uploaded the newsletter article we included in the last newlsetter in 2012 prior to the start this year in the group files section.

Yesterday we had a whole staff breakfast Student eLearning Feedback meeting where 3 teachers shared their teaching inquiries ... all I can say is wow! The most pleasing thing was the conversations afterwards amongst all the staff as they reviewed their inquiry and identified next steps for student eLearning, barriers etc.

My only absolute is the focus is on student learning outcomes "what do my students need to achieve?" -  then look at the best tools/strategies/resources you need to make it happen.

Happy to share our experience - message me.

Kevin

Join this group to contribute to discussions.