Search

The process to complete

• Public
Started by Shane 07 Apr 2013 10:41am () Replies (7)

BYOD in my view is an extension of what you already have in school. It is just that the students are able to increase the amount of time they can have access to one computer/tablet for themselves.

My principal was saying that a school had done a two year process to get BYOD in place, I believe this is unrealistic. I was wondering what others had done? Personally I think a term of looking at it, putting a policy in place and having a community consultation at the end would surfice.

One point he made was that there was problems with what they could access on their tablets... I don't think this is relevant as we already have laptops and the internet access would be the same on them as they would be for anyone who had BYOD.

Any thoughts on this process as I am down to two computers in my class and want the BYOD to go ahead asap as I have 4-6 students who will be able to bring their own devices in.

Replies

• Shona Poppe (View all users posts) 07 Apr 2013 11:19am ()

We are considering BYOD in the near future. We have over 600 children. We are waiting for UFB (August with any luck) and I want us to put in a few more access points for reliablility. Once we say yes to one group, we have sent a precedent and we'll quite possibly get pressure from our community for all the children to be able to bring their devices. We are also looking at a mobile device management system that will send a profile to their devices as they attach to our network and this will block or allow certain services on their devices in accordance with our school's policy. The restrictions are not only for the internet. (We also have current filtering). Once we have all our little ducks in a row, it shouldn't take 2 years to roll out. Our only restriction will be to ensure our network can cope with the traffic. Meltdowns don't go down well with anyone.

Along side of this, we are also working with teachers to develop a workflow system, so they are able to use this technology to their best advantage in the classroom. We curretly have 7 digital classes, so we are a good way down the track already.

• Andrew Wooster (View all users posts) 08 Apr 2013 7:53pm ()

It's so difficult when you want to move forward and get stuck into things and by the sound of it, that is where you are at?  We are considering BYOD and beginning on our e-learning framework journey.  I have and take issue with time frames like this, however, there must be robust policy in place around what happens if things go wrong..such as .... devices breaking or damaged etc.  Find the balance but by all means communicate your intentions and best of luck.

• Amanda-Ellesbeth Neemia (View all users posts) 12 Apr 2013 5:12pm ()

Hi,

I have uploaded a checklist which you might find helpful. It offers a "place to start" and does highlight areas which may not have been thought of.  MaidstoneIntermediateBYODReadinessChecklist.pdf

Regards,

Amanda-Ellesbeth

• Shane (View all users posts) 15 Apr 2013 10:08pm ()

Thanks heaps, was hoping sooner than later, but I know there are realities. Having two computers in your class can get quite frustrating when ICT can be used as a fantastic tool. I have started to use Puppet Pals 2 in the class using my iPad, but would be cool if BYOD allowed for groups to use it all at one time rather than just one select group.

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 16 Apr 2013 2:38pm ()

Great resource, Amanda, which asks plenty of useful questions across the board.

I agree in part with Mark in that we could get overly fussy about getting everything 'right' before jumping in. There is, however, a real advantage in knowing where likely sticky points are going to be and have developed at the very least a strategic plan for how the technology will be rolled out, how it is likely to impact across the dimensions of the school and why you are rolling in in the first place.

The e-Learning Planning Framework reminds us that the curriculum vision leads these kinds of initiatives (not the tech), and that each school needs to look across the five dimensions - leadership, professional learning, teaching, infrastructure and connecting with your community - if any e-capability initiative is going to fly and be sustained.

Of course there will be hiccups, learning curves (and curve balls) - the biggest one being developing a vision for how learning (and associated PD) might evolve for your students so it's not just 'business as it's always been' (but on a smaller screen);-)

Asking questions in forums such as this goes a long way to starting with eyes open. Best of luck! :)

• Kevin Byrne (View all users posts) 15 May 2013 4:26pm ()

Hi all

At New Plymouth GHS we have adopted an optional BYOD programme this year. Following a BOT led strategic committee starting from mid 2011 it became apparent that access to internet based learning facilities was imperative and that BYOD was a effective strategy to enable this. As we have a roll of 1250 and our site is a museum of differing educational architecture from early 1900 onwards, site wide WiFi is problematic. We currently have 70% of the learning spaces covered and working to develop this over time. Teachers are trialling BYOD at their own pace supported by a very collaborative staff culture. For those teachers who want to run with it, the opportunities are becoming realities, for those who are not there yet, no problem their time will come. Yes there are teething issues but its great to have the opportunities to transform the learning using BYOD as it becomes possible. We haven't taken away any ICT capability, rather added to it. I uploaded the newsletter article we included in the last newlsetter in 2012 prior to the start this year in the group files section.

Yesterday we had a whole staff breakfast Student eLearning Feedback meeting where 3 teachers shared their teaching inquiries ... all I can say is wow! The most pleasing thing was the conversations afterwards amongst all the staff as they reviewed their inquiry and identified next steps for student eLearning, barriers etc.

My only absolute is the focus is on student learning outcomes "what do my students need to achieve?" -  then look at the best tools/strategies/resources you need to make it happen.

Happy to share our experience - message me.

Kevin

Join this group to contribute to discussions.