Search

What does it look like As 91479?

• Public
Started by Jane Dewar 05 Apr 2013 4:03pm () Replies (3)

We have tried several ways into this and would like some comment and help. We started with a general look at critical thinking and then gave each student a poem to have a look at and then find some critical voices on it and present their eventual understandings. We did this in oral form and have recorded them and it would be great of people could have a look at them and see whether they have done enough or whether the task fully allows the standard to be achieved. It was really difficult getting our heads around just what the step ups would be so we developed a rubric, which it would also be great if people could comment on and add or detract from.

We then moved to a documentary focus with the bridging course which has gone down well and this had a more focussed approach. I have put up an example of the scaffolded sheet and what I thought the final written piece might look like. Does this seem like the sort of thing that will alllow the kind of critical understanding? 

Replies

• Maria Kalasih (View all users posts) 06 Apr 2013 6:58pm ()

The documentary focus will probably appeal to a greater range and number of students than sticking to Shakespeare! Your approach has triggered thoughts of returning to the good old days of Pilger, Fisk and other investigative journalists we used to look at for the old research standard.

• Jane Dewar (View all users posts) 07 Apr 2013 5:46pm ()

The Doco stuff really worked with the strugglers particularly. With a scaffolded approach we were able to get them involved and the range of docos is huge. Check out the festival in May in Wellington. Think I was a bit pedantic with the set up task though and the hypothesis. What do you think about the exemplar for The Cove? Do you think it is a reasonable attempt and shows a developing understanding? I worried about it.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

English AS 91479,

English AS 91479,

Group to facilitate discussion among senior secondary English teachers around critical text Level 3 standard