Search

Growing leadership of e-learning | NAPP Kōrero 6 - Resourcing

Started by Karen Spencer 03 Apr 2013 2:49pm () Replies (168)

Kia ora koutou, talofa lava and welcome...

interconnected woven circlesThis kōrero invites you to think about those leadership skills and understandings which might be important when planning to resource e-learning in your school. We have all heard stories of schools investing heavily in technologies first and then deciding afterwards how they will be useful...or inviting students to bring in their own devices before considering how this might support the curriculum.

We know that e-learning is driven by curriculum and pedagogy - so what does this mean for leaders who need to grow a kete of services and technologies to support this in their school? 

Some resources to kick start this mahi...

From Enabling e-Learning Leadership, Dr Cheryl Doig outlines the change process and explains how to sustain change. As you watch, ask yourself what kind of leadership capabilities would be needed to do this and how does this relate to resourcing?

[Link to video with transcript]

Our key questions...

• How might principals grow their capacity to lead the resourcing of e-learning?

• How might your decisions about school resourcing of e-learning impact on property, personnel or finance?

Cool WEBINAR: You can access the webinar recording for this kōrero via this link

[Image credit: CC Hazel Owen]

Replies

• Leigh Perry (View all users posts) 26 May 2013 3:33pm ()

Andrew I agree about listening to the community.  As Cheryl Doig says you have to have staff committment (I personally like the phrase buy-in!), but I also think you have to have community/family committment.  These sectors have to understand the reason/purpose for e-learning & see its relevance.  Teachers shouldn't be using ICT as a means to occupy students, but rather as a means of consolidating student learning (in the junior areas) &/or as a means of exploring new learning & understanding.  I think most schools/teachers have moved away from using tecnology for presentation purposes only (even though this can still be part of e-learning).

• Leigh Perry (View all users posts) 26 May 2013 3:42pm ()

Yvette - I agree about the budget & having to take into account all costs, and the ongoing costs.  Technology is changing almost daily.  What is new today is (almost) old next week!  Teachers and students soon get frustrated with old & out of dated equipment.  And also as you mention money for PD is a must.  As teachers we must now how to use the technology ourselves as well as teaching students how to use it (although many students can be more knowable than teachers).

The biggest battle we had at school was with staff who had been teaching for many years and trying to get them 'committed' to this new way/vision.  Sometimes all the enthusiasm is not enough against those dragging the chain.  It did take me a long time to get my head around it & to see it as the way forward & to actually understand that I need to teach students for their future, not my past.  Yes "scary & foreign", but if little constant steps, then everything should fall into place.

• Leigh Perry (View all users posts) 26 May 2013 7:05pm ()

Caroline - love your last sentence the need for balance between the ‘outward practical gesture’ and the digital ‘inward’ process.  Life and education is always so much about a balance.  And as much as I know I am teaching students for their future (& all its uncertainties), I still do like some of the 'old fashioned' ways  - as in pen and paper!

• Leigh Perry (View all users posts) 02 Jun 2013 10:46am ()

It is interesting the primary vs secondary level of experience and exposure to IT and the current tools/social media.  At my school all year 7s and 8s work one to one on lap tops, but when they move off to college unfortunatley the local colleges to not have the same level of IT.  So perhaps some skills our students learn will get forgotten or surpassed by other new skills/programmes.  Maybe the fact that so many young people are on socail media sites all the time will help?  Interesting that there really seems to be no clear path that ALL schools HAVE to take in order to provide ALL students with equal opportunities for ICT,

• Leigh Perry (View all users posts) 02 Jun 2013 10:50am ()

being less about the technology and more about someone who is willing to develop relationships with students, staff – beyond the physical buildings

Isn't this so true?  Once again we are taken back to the 'people factor'.  Without the relationships there can be no/little effective learning.  We need the support and guidence of others to help us take the next step in our learning, in whatever curriculum area, but more importanly in areas of IT as so many can feel inadequate and lack the confidence.  We also need the leader to really have that vision, to 'enthuse' about it and get others excited.  So taking time to establish strong and positive relationships is very important.

• Leigh Perry (View all users posts) 12 Jun 2013 11:46am ()

Hi Chris - I remember when we got our computer suite in the libray.  What excitement!  (This was about 7yrs ago maybe).  Now they rarely get used, except during lunch times when the library is open (with a teacher on duty in there).  Times have certainly changed.  Our seniors have 1 to 1 laptops, years 3 - 5 have classroom sets (at least 15 per class) and our juniors have 3 laptops and 6 ipads each.   I personally wouldn't want to go back to the suite days.  When IT is 'in' the classroom I think the relevance is much clearer and stronger for both the teacher and the student.  Also the teachers skills in using IT grow a lot quicker, there can be immediate access to online learning sites, the teacher can monitor students better and students soon lose the 'wow' factor of having laptops and ipads in the class.  The co-operative learning and relationships that can be established around IT being available in the classroom on a regualr basis is also a positive.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.