Search

Growing leadership of e-learning | NAPP Kōrero 6 - Resourcing

Started by Karen Spencer 03 Apr 2013 2:49pm () Replies (168)

Kia ora koutou, talofa lava and welcome...

interconnected woven circlesThis kōrero invites you to think about those leadership skills and understandings which might be important when planning to resource e-learning in your school. We have all heard stories of schools investing heavily in technologies first and then deciding afterwards how they will be useful...or inviting students to bring in their own devices before considering how this might support the curriculum.

We know that e-learning is driven by curriculum and pedagogy - so what does this mean for leaders who need to grow a kete of services and technologies to support this in their school? 

Some resources to kick start this mahi...

From Enabling e-Learning Leadership, Dr Cheryl Doig outlines the change process and explains how to sustain change. As you watch, ask yourself what kind of leadership capabilities would be needed to do this and how does this relate to resourcing?

[Link to video with transcript]

Our key questions...

• How might principals grow their capacity to lead the resourcing of e-learning?

• How might your decisions about school resourcing of e-learning impact on property, personnel or finance?

Cool WEBINAR: You can access the webinar recording for this kōrero via this link

[Image credit: CC Hazel Owen]

Replies

• Hadleigh Benson (View all users posts) 26 Sep 2014 1:39pm ()

I don't agree entirely about principals understanding e-learning, but I do believe they need to have trust and faith in those that do. They also need to voice their encouragement and endorsement for the e-learning leaders....

• Caine Webster (View all users posts) 02 Jul 2014 1:06pm ()

I completley agree with everything you have said Manz. I am Deputy Principal of a small full primary and this is the model that our school works with when implementing new initiatives. It works really well as it is inclusive, regardless of teachers level of understanding

It is vital to have everyone on the same page, which would mean providing research, evidence and examples to assist understanding of why, how, when and where. It is also important to give teachers time to process information they have been given and to make sure that they actually 'buy in' as opposed to just complying. Teachers really like it when you can show them how it would work and how much potential it has moving forward. Visits to schools and classes where this is happening well is vital.

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses and letting everyone share thoughts, opinions and ideas helps make the process more inclusive.

• Carmen Kenton (View all users posts) 25 May 2014 2:50pm ()

Kia ora Koutou

For secondary schools that are not getting remodled classrooms in an open, space-for-a-purpose-room, but are still working with boxed, subject-purpose-rooms, we have to consider how modern learning environment ideals can be bought into the learning in that space and into the spaces beyond the classroom.  So much of my learning occurs in this device and it doesn't matter where I take it.  Our students are like that too.  What we teach them to do with that information is the modern bit; what we allow them to do with that information in the learning space we have available at school is good pedagogy.  Resourcing this creative use of information is important.  Educational leaders need to give direction but they also must give teachers permission to think this way about their teaching, to explore and experiment with their teaching.  Encourage their teachers, share their discoveries.

Nga mihi

Carmen Kenton

• Alison Tuck (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2013 7:39pm ()

It is good to hear of another school who has gone down the professional learning time path. We too take time as a staff on a Wednesday from 2.45 p.m. There are a number of professional learning times in this slot, including co-construction meetings for Te Kotahitanga, but there is a real desire on the part of the staff to explore ICT and e-learning. A number of our staff would prefer not to fail in front of students, it can have such a detrimental effect on relationships. Howver, it is always good to identify a "tech angel" in your class that you can rely on to save the day if it all goes pear-shaped. We have a number of staff strong in e-learning and they have been invaluable in passing on their expertise. It seems to be a long road, but the staff have set off on the journey with some enthusiasm.

• Alison Tuck (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2013 7:31pm ()

That's a really good question Sean. We have started on our BYOD journey, but we are still making baby steps. Our key concern as a leadership team is about equty within our school community. It is really diverse, so for some students the move to BYOD would not be an issue, we know that for others there would be a major challenge. So our work is about making it an even playing field for all. Community consultation is going to be an important component.

• Mark Edwards (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2013 1:04pm ()

I agree with Jacqueline's and Kristin's observations that a classroom full of students engaged with technology doesn't necessarily have a direct link to improved student outcomes. Infact in the 8 years that I've been teaching I have never been able to reliably link any pedagogical change to improved student outcomes. This is because learning isn't a factory where inputs can be measured against outputs. So much of what the Ministry says about the importance of personalised learning is because every student's life is different. Every student learns differently because they add what happens in the classroom to the experiences they bring to the classroom (some people call is constructivism). The trouble is the Ministry then expect BOTs, principals, teachers and whanau to use evidence based practice to decide what works and what doesn't as if classrooms are a factory. The Ministry needs to realise the fallacy of evidence based practice. There is no way to directly link teacher inputs to student outputs as evidence. It could be the other things happening in the student's life that makes just as much difference as the iPad in the classroom (e.g. a reunited family group, an interested Uncle, a visit to a museum etc etc). I think technology can raise student achievement but so could: stability of employment for families; policies that narrow the income gaps; smaller class sizes and a University system that doesn't rely on students sitting for 4 hours exams to "handwrite" their learning.

• KristinM (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2013 6:06am ()

I agree Jacqueline that engagement does not necessarily lead to achievement.  I have obeserved the use of tablets across a whole range of classes where they have been introduced this year.  What I have noticed is that, in some cases, teachers' perceptions that students are engaged in learning are not accurate as quite often students are actually engaged in other things online not associated with the learning in class.  Classroom observation data, as well as data that we collected through student voice has been very powerful for us moving forward.

• Philippa (View all users posts) 05 Nov 2013 7:12am ()

I have enjoyed reading the rich korero around this subject.
    In our focus on leadership we consider the role of the Principal in leading change. Identifying what change is needed; for what reason so this can be clearly communicated to BOT, staff and families.
    I don't believe the principal needs to be the "expert" but does need to have knowledge and understanding. This could be gained through strategic attendnace at conferences or workshops attached to conferences such as SPANZ. If time is the issue, send one of the senior team, like a "scout".
    Which leads me to anther point, how important it is to build the capacity of others.
    At the end of the last century we had teaching training on such things as word, excel, powerpoint, publisher. The group that attended were encouraged, well supported and set up well to start the digital learning journey .
    I think now teachers abilities are much more diverse, but what is important is ensuring their is a culture of trust and collaboration so we can learn and be inspired by each other.

• Sean Wansbrough (View all users posts) 21 Oct 2013 6:20am ()

At our school we have just introduced BYOD. My question is - How do we effectively manage the change to a digital environment when we have teachers (and learners) at so many different starting points?

• Trudi Kareko (View all users posts) 20 Oct 2013 2:08pm ()

Interesting discussions taking place!  I can certainly see the many positives of having a principal with a sound knowledge, clear vision, and effective pedagogy around the use and integration of e-learning.  Leading learning is key here and effective school leaders need to ensure they have a firm grip of new technologies and digital tools.  A shared vision is equally important and I believe a sound understanding of how the integration of e-learning will impact student outcomes is vital.  We have been on a great journey together and our principal has made sure to involve all staff and build strong commitment from all!  E-learning and developing our own teacher capabilities and pedagogy around e-learning and the use of digital tools is expected of all staff and written into our strategic goals.  Our staff are eager to enhance their ICT skills and are committed to ensuring e-learning enhances student achievement.  Our students are showing high levels of engagement and student agency, which has numerous benefits to all! 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.