Search

Best iPad app for working collaboratively on Google Docs?

• Public
Started by Carol Kendall 20 Mar 2013 9:05pm () Replies (3)

There's been some discussion on this before, but apps update and the scenario changes, so I'm wondering what you are finding the best iPad app for having students able to sign in and work collaboratively (ie at the same time) on a Google Doc. Something free would be best Laughing

So, how have you found the likes of the Chrome app, or the Google Drive app? They don't seem to cope with Tables (very happy if I'm wrong)? And Presentations can be viewed, but not created or worked on? Can documents be worked on by more than one person at the same time (very important for me)?

Personally, I like Office 2 HD, but that costs $10 (half price, perhaps, on the VPP). You can add Tables and shapes. And it can make Presentations. Any other gems out there?

Replies

• Michelle Robison (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2013 6:28pm ()

If you make sure you always go to the 'destop' version on the ipad once you have signed into your GAFE account you can use the docs exactly as you would on a laptop. Don't use the mobile app, go in through your browser and sign into your google account. Then right down at the bottom will be a blue 'desktop version'. Use it to take you to the usual screen and avoid the mobile version all together. Unforunately it doesn't seem to work on Presentations but does on docs.

• Ross Hampton (View all users posts) 20 Nov 2013 8:09am ()

The desktop browser doesn't give you 100% reliability and functionality on a tablet but is useful for doing stuff you can't do in the mobile browser or the Drive app. Alternatively, have a look at Quickoffice which is a Google product now and will let you create word docs and spreadsheets and (sigh) powerpoint presentations which are saved in Google drive.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.