Search

Māori Language Applications for IPads

• Public
Started by Merita Waitoa Paki 16 Mar 2013 9:42pm () Replies (18)

Kia ora koutou,

Advice is needed - we are a brand new kura kaupapa māori based in Richmond - Nelson - we are wanting to know what māori language applications are around for IPads - literacy focus, numeracy focus, any type of focus would be great.

Ngā mihi,

Merita

Replies

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 16 Mar 2013 10:30pm ()

I have some Te Reo apps on my Aotearoa page.

https://sites.google.com/site/initialipadsetup/aotearoa

But there are lots of apps that include oral input that you could use like Puppet Pals, Show Me, Book Creator etc that are in the cross curriculum page.

https://sites.google.com/site/initialipadsetup/cross-curriculum-apps

• Lisa (View all users posts) 17 Mar 2013 7:47am ()

Kia ora Allanah,

Thanks for these links. Funny thing, I was about to start looking at Te Reo Maaori apps for school ipads and came across your posting. Ka mau te wehi!! So thanks, it gives me a starting point.

Ngaa mihi

Lisa

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 17 Mar 2013 10:33am ()

Tino pai. 'Just in time' learning.

• Andrea Gordine (View all users posts) 17 Mar 2013 6:51pm ()

Kia ora koutou,

We are a Rumaki Reo unit within a mainstream setting and I am also keen to know of any apps.  Thanks Allanah for those sites.  There is also a Maori Milly Molly series of Maori books that are on Kiwa media wesite.  www.kiwamedia.com you download the pataka then you can upload the books there and they sit on a bookshelf its an awesome app with about 16 books.  For numeracy just search Maths free apps and there are lots of free maths gamees that dont have english in them.  The numerical and picture ones are the best kia kore e mikirapu nga tamariki ki nga reo e rua.

• Andrea Gordine (View all users posts) 17 Mar 2013 7:02pm ()

I just looked on Allanah's page and the Milly Molly link is there.  Tauke to wharangi ipurangi Allanah!!!!

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 17 Mar 2013 7:10pm ()

Ngā mihi ki a koe Merita mō te kōrero nei!

Allanah I love the sites you have created!  Wish I could contribute something new - will work on that.  Thought I'd track back and share this Discussion post - it's an oldie but a goodie and you may find some ideas there - you may also recognise the star celebrity!!!

Arohatia te reo

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 18 Mar 2013 11:32am ()

koru

Great to see such a responsive sharing of ideas here - and ka pai to you, Allanah, for curating them as you find them. How do you find the time?! Cool

Has anyone used any of these te reo Māori apps in the classroom, whether it's in English or Māori-medium (or know someone who has?).

It would be great to have a wee description of why they chose them to suit the students and how it went.

Who's up for sharing their mahi?

[Image credit: CC AttributionNo Derivative Works Some rights reserved by kiwikris]

• Anaru White (View all users posts) 18 Mar 2013 12:01pm ()

Kia ora koutou

I use Sock Puppets all the time a free app that lets you create your own lip-synched videos and share them. I find it useful for second-language learners of all abilities, especially those who are a bit hesitant to speak. Great for building confidence and to consolidate learning. Easy to use as well.

Hei tauira:

• Anaru White (View all users posts) 25 Mar 2013 9:43am ()

Kia ora e hoa mā

The reomations from the He Reo Tupu He Reo Ora resource are now an app. I have found these reomations excellent to use when teaching te reo Māori, the app version just creates more possibilities. Personalised learning and creating your own reomation using one of the many publishing apps come to mind.

For more information view this website or simply search for "Reomations" in the Apple App Store.

Screen Shot 2013-03-25 at 9.41.48 AM.png

• Anne Kenneally  (View all users posts) 25 Mar 2013 9:54am ()

Thanks so much for sharing Anaru.  I am working on a presentation and I am going to include a link to these reomations!  YAY

• Brett Cribb (View all users posts) 25 Mar 2013 4:01pm ()

Kia ora e te whānau. E mihi ana ki koutou ngā kura māori e hāpai nei i tēnei taiao ako e pai ai te ako o ā tātou ākonga.

The best App that works across all is the many picture collage ones, the one i prefer is 'Pic Collage', once created it's easy to take a screen shot then export to Google Drive for access or email it etc. From here you can use those collage/pics for. Storyrobe, Scribble My Story, Story Creator, Book Creator, My Story and also Comic Life. Most are cross usable and it's just a matter of having a play. Other Apps that work and can generate language use written and oral is Create a car, Create a Monster etc etc. I have managed to use these for generating writing with tamariki in Te Reo and also Oral Language. Comic Life is awesome to connect a tool with rauemi such as 'Manu Tuhituhi' hei tauira, using this for aspects like tuhinga mihi, tuhinga tohutohu, tuhinga taki and then there is educreations for 'Poutama Tau'. 

Be as creative as you can e hoa mā. Hope this helps and gives an opportunity to inquire and see what tool/pūnaha papa i works best for the needs of your tamariki/ākonga. 

• Merita Waitoa Paki (View all users posts) 29 Mar 2013 12:40pm ()

Kia ora tātou, ngā mihi nui ki a koe e Brett mō tō kaupapa i whakaatu mai koe ki a mātou o Tuia Te Matangi. All of the apps that Cribby have mentioned are awesome for developing, acquiring, inquiring, enhancing reo in a immersion setting. It is all about being creative and taking that step as the learner. 

Ngā mihi ki te rōpū nei o CORE - HE PIKINGA REO & AKO e!!!! Kei runga noa atu koutou!!!

• Merita Waitoa Paki (View all users posts) 29 Mar 2013 12:41pm ()

Kia ora tātou, ngā mihi nui ki a koe e Brett mō tō kaupapa i whakaatu mai koe ki a mātou o Tuia Te Matangi. All of the apps that Cribby have mentioned are awesome for developing, acquiring, inquiring, enhancing reo in a immersion setting. It is all about being creative and taking that step as the learner. 

Ngā mihi ki te rōpū nei o CORE - HE PIKINGA REO & AKO e!!!! Kei runga noa atu koutou!!!

• Brett Cribb (View all users posts) 12 May 2013 9:55pm ()

Tēnā koe Merita, e ū ana tō koutou kura ki ngā tūāhuatanga ka tāea e ā tātou ākonga/tamariki/mokopuna. E rere ana ngā mihi ki ngā kaiako, ngā ākonga me te whānau whānui o Tuia te Mātangi. Couple more little apps to have a look at.

Explain Everything

Instashare

Story Buddy 2

Join this group to contribute to discussions.