Search

Speech to text for Ipad2 and IOS 6

• Public
Started by Mark Edwards 15 Mar 2013 10:24am () Replies (10)

Hi,

Have found out that Siri/Dictation doesn't work on Ipad2s. Only on Ipad3s and Iphone 4Ss & 5s. I have heard that a free App called Dragon can be used but it doesn't work with IOS6. Anyone have a solution for speech to text? We really want to use the Ipad to adapt the curriculum and this would be a great tool to this.

Replies

• Iain Cook-Bonney (View all users posts) 15 Mar 2013 10:33am ()

Hi, I use an app called Paperport Notes (Free!), this is a notetaking app which actually has the dragon dictation engine built in, and when you set the speech for Australian English, works remarkably well. Works just fine on IOS 6.

• Chrissie Butler (View all users posts) 18 Mar 2013 9:40am ()

Kia ora Iain. Are you using Paperport Notes in the classroom? If yes, any chance you could share a few examples of how the students are using it? Cheers

• Iain Cook-Bonney (View all users posts) 18 Mar 2013 11:49am ()

Hi Chrissie,

We use it in a variety of ways. It is a great note taking app, has integration with google docs, dropbox etc. You can create text-boxes and add images to them, stickies, annotations etc.

It also has a couple of features that make it unique. It has the speech to text engine, great for reluctant writers or those that have trouble using the keyboard. Also great for those who are oral speakers rather than writers. I can get more from them using this app than I would using anything else. They can talk about their experiences, written work and it does the work for them. Then they go and proof read it! 

It also has an OCR function as well. This means we can take a picture of someone's writing and it will turn it into editable text. It doesn't handle handwriting that well at all, but I have used it to turn newspaper articles into text for students to rewrite. Exploring other uses still!

And free...

• Chrissie Butler (View all users posts) 18 Mar 2013 12:22pm ()

Awesome Iain. Two more questions Cool

• What age students are you working with?
    • Do you make Paperport Notes available to all your students and is it on every device?
  • Iain Cook-Bonney (View all users posts) 20 Mar 2013 11:00am ()

Chrissie,

I have used the app with YR1-8 students. When working with junior students, it's often in a shared teacher-student setting, rather than independant use.

And yes, it is on all our ipads. Very useful for teachers as well!

• Susan McMillan (View all users posts) 20 Mar 2013 7:41am ()

Thanks Iain. V. helpful.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 15 Mar 2013 11:43am ()

I recently put and Voice Dictation and Voice Dictation for Pages on my iPad site 

https://sites.google.com/site/initialipadsetup/dyslexia

The thing with Dragon Dicatate is that it doesn't like my rich kiwi accent and gets too many words wrong and I spend more time correcting it than I would if I had actually typed it in the first place.

• David Pirie (View all users posts) 20 Mar 2013 8:18am ()

Hi Iain - can you tell me how to adjust the settings on Paperport  Notes to Australian English on iPad2.It's not obvious, and with American english its hopeless for broad kiwi!

• Iain Cook-Bonney (View all users posts) 20 Mar 2013 11:02am ()

Hi David,

Easy. Go into the iPad Settings. Then if you scroll right down to the individual application settings at the bottom you will find Paperport Notes. Change language setting there. Works much better with Australian English, still have to speak a little slowly for best results.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.