Search

Helping your students with online research - by curating relevant content

I guess teachers everywhere are only too well aware of the many pitfalls students face when searching for information to support inquiry - especially online. Their search skills (and critical assessment of their search results) are often not great. By curating suitable content, using one of the many online content curation tools (e.g. LiveBinders, Scoop.It, Pearltrees, and many more) you can provide some scaffolding that enables your students to search more effectively, and even suggest additional sites to add to your curation.This support for students is a perfect opportunity for collaboration between teachers and the school librarian!

We've got the first cohort of teachers and school librarians on our 5-week online course, Curating content for digital learners - helping students manage information overload. Another intake begins 8 April, with the final course starting 13 May. Find out more here: http://bit.ly/102RaAk

Any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Cheers,

Janet

Replies

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 06 Mar 2013 11:10am ()

Thanks Janet for starting this post, I too am very aware of the pitfalls of information overload especially when primary school students are searching online.

Another tool I have used very successfully to sift and sort relevant information and links is to create a digital kit for learners using a google presentation.

Here is an example of one I created for a Year 3 class concept "Pattern" 

Pattern digital kit.pdf

and a step by step explanation of how to create a digital kit of your own.

How to use google presentations to make Digital Kits of your own.

and finally a link to the article that started it all for me.

Digital Kits

: )

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 06 Mar 2013 10:25pm ()

Thanks for sharing this, it's a bit like what we used to do pre-internet with our secondary students when we provided them with relevant readings and excerpts. It's great to be firstly reminded of this and secondly been shown how to blend it with 21c tools ;-). I'll definitely keep this in mind when working with my schools. Would any teachers be interested and prepared to share their digital kits as a starting point for other teachers?

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 07 Mar 2013 12:47pm ()

I found this list to be pretty good.  I don't think it is in order of the best but my favourite is definitely Diigo.  

SurprisedOOOps that isnt even the list I was expecting.  I will try that again, keeping the other list linked here as well so you can compare.

So this is the list I have found to be useful to share with others Wink

• Janet McFadden (View all users posts) 07 Mar 2013 3:20pm ()

Thanks for the list of top 10 curation tools, Leigh.  They include several that people used on our online course when we offered it to internal staff during the summer holidays, as well as other tools we haven't tried. Pinterest has certainly taken off like a rocket since it appeared, with the vast majority of users being women, with high usage in the creative crafts! One of my colleagues is an enthusiastic Evernote user, and this is one I want to try from home.

Has anyone used DigitalNZ?  While not strictly a curation tool, it lets you create 'sets' on a topic - a really great way to pull NZ items together on your chosen topic. Worth a look at what's already been created - photos, maps,video, posters, contemporary as well as historic, from a wide range of sources, not just the National Library, on a huge range of topics.

• Anne Sturgess (View all users posts) 07 Mar 2013 4:16pm ()

... and the website that Leigh provided the link for is an amazing source of e-learning information and ideas. It's so good I often save a post by clicking on SHARE on the left-hand side and saving the link and ideas to Evernote so they're all curated in one place, making them easy to share with others.

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 07 Mar 2013 5:50pm ()

And I press my Diigo button on Chrome, so easy!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.