Search

Creative Commons Licensing for Schools

• Public
Started by Matt McGregor 04 Mar 2013 2:25pm () Replies (3)

Hi all,

Matt here, from Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand. As Esther mentioned a few weeks ago, I've been giving a few talks around the country on open licensing, and I'd like to do many, many more of these.

So, with Mix & Mash around the corner, Creative Commons is offering copyright and open licensing sessions for all New Zealand students or teachers, for free, whenever you’d like.

Instead of flying around the country, I’d love to connect via Skype or videoconference. It can be as short or as long as needed. It could be a brief Q&A with students, or a longer open licensing & policy workshop for teachers. Also, if your students (or teachers) have questions, do feel free to point them in my direction: either matt.mcgregor@royalsociety.org.nz or admin@creativecommons.org.nz

If you want a taste of what I might cover, I’ve posted the long version of a recent talk here.

Cheers,

Matt

Replies

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 05 Mar 2013 8:43am ()

Thanks for sharing this, Matt. That's a really helpful set of resources. Are you able to give a quick indication of why open licensing or Mix & Mash might be exciting and useful for educators, especially for anyone to whom the ideas are quite new?

Smile

• Matt McGregor (View all users posts) 05 Mar 2013 10:52am ()

Oh, of course! For those new to the concept, Creative Commons offers a set of free licences that let copyright holders give permission to others to legally share and reuse their work. This short video gives the basics.

In an age of torrents and ubiquitous digital devices, it is easier than ever to copy and reuse online content. Unfortunately, this also means that it has become easier than ever for students to violate copyright. For this reason, copyright has become a central part of good digital citizenship, that set of skills, knowledge and values that students can use to act responsibly online.

The benefit of introducing Creative Commons into this copyright conversation is that it allows you to focus on what students can do with content they find online, instead of focusing on what they can't.

Quite simply, Creative Commons licences allow students to become makers and producers instead of viewers and consumers. Students can share, adapt and reuse over 700 million pieces of openly licensed content. This means that students can build on the work of the past to produce content of their own--legally, for free.

This is what Mix & Mash is for: to encourage students to make their own culture--be it a short story, a comic, a video or a data mashup--and share it with the rest of us.

The other side of the coin is sharing educational resources--except this post is long enough! Instead, I'll point everyone to a piece I wrote for the Education Gazette, which you can read here.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.