Search

iPads/tech in the classroom - visit successful classrooms

• Public
Started by Amanda OConnell 04 Mar 2013 1:13pm () Replies (11)

We would like to go an observe teachers who are successfully using iPads (and other technology) in their classrooms. Preferably next week. Do you know of any school that we could visit in the Upper Hutt / Wellington area? We would like it to be a primary school and again preferably a Year 4 and Year 5/6 class.

SmilePosted on behalf of Davida from Silverstream School

Replies

• Kathe Tawhiwhirangi (View all users posts) 04 Mar 2013 4:24pm ()

Anne-Marie Principal at Normandale school is doing some terrific stuff in her classrooms re iPads. I'm sure if you make contact there, you will get a response :-) Cheers

• Miriam (View all users posts) 05 Mar 2013 10:47am ()

Our school is also wanting to visit schools who are successfully using iPads (and other technology) in their classrooms. We are just starting out the journey and would like to view primary schools in Auckland who have already embarked on the journey. 

If you know of any schools in Auckland please let me know.

• Amanda OConnell (View all users posts) 05 Mar 2013 11:48am ()

Remember about the CORE Breakfast seminars.

There is one in Wellington on 12 April: Using iPads to support teaching and learning. 20 September is the date for the seminar in Auckland.

Find all the info here.Smile

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 05 Mar 2013 12:29pm ()

imageKia ora Amanda, Silverstream School might wish to register for Enabling e-Learning's LIVE webinar on: Using mobile technologies in a junior classroom - one teacher's story. Anyone can register for this free event HERE. It would also be useful to check computer settings prior to this event HERE.

Great way to save on petrol!

• Barrie Matthews (View all users posts) 11 Mar 2013 4:13pm ()

You may be aware that the iPad does not have support for Flash "out of the box" so won't display all or parts of many useful web sites that teachers and students visit.

One solution is to download an alternative browser app called Puffin which will display Flash content.

Thanks to Murray's Bay Intermediate for this tip.

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 11 Mar 2013 11:03pm ()

Hi Barrie, thanks for this awesome tip, for 2 years I believed there's no way to make flash work on iPads. Can you comment on the differenxe between free and premium version, please? I had a quick try of free version and found it quite laggy. If this is working as well as other browser I'm completely sold on iPads ;-)

• Rachel Whalley (View all users posts) 12 Mar 2013 8:01am ()

Thanks Barrie, i tried that out though Puffin only supports Flash for a 2 week trial and then you have upgrade and buy it.

I was looking for flash so we could watch TVNZon Demand, and in my explorations discovered they have just released an app for this.

• Tony Morgan (View all users posts) 12 Mar 2013 10:24am ()

Hi Rachel

The best solution we've found is to download the free education browser app called Rover. It works most of the time. You can read about it here...  http://www.theroverapp.com/about/

Other flash enabling browsers have age restrictions because they may show inappropriate advertising etc. and aren't suitable for school use.

Good luck! 

• Josie Woon (View all users posts) 12 Mar 2013 8:20pm ()

Hi what is the app called I use puffin to watch TVNZ on demand $4 isn't much I thought to access it well.  What is the app calls called that you found?

• Josie Woon (View all users posts) 12 Mar 2013 9:00pm ()

I've just downloaded Rover and it now has a message because of the demand and it's main purpose being educational reSources you can't access TVNZ on demand now it's only the educational sites on its home page.  But I did just down load the TVNZ app and it works a treat and is free so thanks for that.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.