Search

How best to set up an iPad and account for a Special Ed ORS student

• Public
Started by Carol Kendall 28 Feb 2013 10:04pm () Replies (13)

One of our students has been successful in gaining a grant through the Ministry of Education for an iPad. Apparently the iPad belongs to her, but remains at school. It would travel with her to another school if and when she left in the future. So.... what's the best way to set this up for her? Should we set her up with a special profile in Apple Configurator, and use VPP apps to allocate to her (she has some special apps that only she would use, but others are the same as our VPP apps). Or should we set up a separate iTunes account and iTunes Library for her (we'll want Find my iPhone to work), but how easy would it be to transfer to a new computer at home or the next school in the future? Or should it all just be set up with her own account etc, but not connected to any computer (how well does that work)?

Your thoughts would be appreciated. I want to get this right the first time!

Replies

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 28 Feb 2013 10:16pm ()

Wouldn't it be lovely if learning was nice and tidy and one solution would fit everyone!

It is was me I would set up one account for her- the apps she would be likely to use could well be quite specific. You would be unlikely to want to buy 20 copies of iWordQ at $30 a pop! Or would you? Depending on how many students there were that needed it I suppose!

In that way she would be more in control of her own destiny and be more flexible in the time taken to install and trial new apps as her needs develop.

Setting up to synch to another computer at a later date shouldn't be too difficult.

That's my five cents worth but haven't actually thought it through- would be interested in what others think.

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 28 Feb 2013 10:31pm ()

I'm in this exact situation, and am planning to setup a separate iTunes account for each student, which the teacher will control. Then we'll download free apps and redeem apps from the schools VPP on that account. I don't see the need to sync these particular iPads to any computer at all. While they are at our school, we'll enrol the devices in our MDM (Mobile Device Management) system, but when they leave our school, the device will go with them, and the new teacher can inherit the iTunes account details.

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 28 Feb 2013 10:53pm ()

My 2 cents.

I am with Matt and Allanah

Set up an iTunes account that can transfer with the student - not one that is linked to the school, work with the parents maybe or at least a generic gmail/other. This can be used to download free apps, pay via credit (gift cards) or redeem - any VPP codes that you use are an investment in the student's current learning. When the student leaves the account and the apps transfer with them and can be handled by the family or the next school.

• grahamp (View all users posts) 01 Mar 2013 7:44am ()
    Should we set her up with a special profile in Apple Configurator, and useVPP apps to allocate to her (she has some special apps that only she would use, but others are the same as our VPP apps).

I would set her up as an individual profile on her iPad. If you had lots of controls pushed out through profiles you could put that on, but I'd put the VPP codes and Apps on through a personal AppleID rather than through configurator. If you didn't want to gift those VPP apps then I would think it would be worth doing a personal buy for them.

Or should we set up aseparate iTunes account and iTunes Library for her (we'll want Find myiPhone to work), but how easy would it be to transfer to a new computer at home or the next school in the future?

I'd use the iCloud solution. Much easier than trying to shift the computers it's attached to or anything like that.

Or should it all just be set up with her own account etc, but not connected to any computer (how well does that work)?
    Yes, I'd do her own account that was supervised by a parent.
    My colleagues suggestions...
  • fiona hawes (View all users posts) 01 Mar 2013 8:09am ()

We have done this - I set up a seperate apple ID etc -( were guided by Di at GSE Tauranga how to set it up)  and all of this student's apps are downloaded directly onto his ipad.  His parents have also added apps (they paid for) once olayed by us etc.  I have a home/school agreement that we use for this ipad - email me if you would like a copy fhawes@tauranga.school.nz

• fiona hawes (View all users posts) 01 Mar 2013 8:09am ()

We have done this - I set up a seperate apple ID etc -( were guided by Di at GSE Tauranga how to set it up)  and all of this student's apps are downloaded directly onto his ipad.  His parents have also added apps (they paid for) once olayed by us etc.  I have a home/school agreement that we use for this ipad - email me if you would like a copy fhawes@tauranga.school.nz

• Chrissie Butler (View all users posts) 01 Mar 2013 9:25am ()

Kia ora Carol

Without knowing the needs of the student, some generic thoughts would be:

• separate apple ID so that the iPad can travel easily with the student as they move between schools, family/whānau can add apps (just have to manage who is paying for what), the tool can be "whole of life"
    • nail the home/school agreement so that the iPad can travel travel between home and school (the MoE would expect this to be happening)
    • upload both the general class apps and apps specific to the needs of the learner
    • include apps that will also support parent/learner, learner/sibling conversation/engagement/communication

Another general comment would be where possible, make available to all students the apps you are using in class. Often students, not just those with immediately recognised special learning needs, if given the opportunity/option will utilize a text-to-speech/speech-to-text app or a very easy to use drawing app with great effect.

Last thought, the iPad is a fabulous way for home and school to send photos/videos back and forth. It can be a great two-way window. Also the wider education team working around the learner can also utilize the iPad to catch snapshots of ways of working, e.g a physio could model the strategy they introduced and with a quick video clip these can travel home and be supported by parents and whānau and vice versa. 

• Karen (View all users posts) 01 Mar 2013 9:44am ()

I have had successful iPad applications for a couple of students and like others have suggested, have set the iPad up with aseparate Apple ID for the student so that when they do eventually move on it is an easier process.

• iDave (View all users posts) 01 Mar 2013 11:41am ()

I did exactly as Karen last year and the student has moved on to a new school this year without a hitch.  User details password etc were sent on to the new school and they changed the Apple ID to an email address at the new school.

The interesting thing was software was supplied from Special Ed via a (VPP? or gifting - not sure) number but gifting means the software will stay forever with the user ID.  

• Chrissie Butler (View all users posts) 01 Mar 2013 1:20pm ()

Kia ora Karen, great to see you in here.

Any chance you might set up a new discussion and share a couple of stories about how the iPad is proving to be an effective tool to support:

• access to learning.
    • the options for a learner to demonstrate what they know.
    • engagement and sustained motivation?

SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

• Karen (View all users posts) 01 Mar 2013 2:28pm ()

Kia ora Chrissie!

I am more than happy to share some of our BLENNZ stories about how our students use iPads to access learning, share their knowledge and learning and stay motivated and engaged.  These issues are usually the basis of our technology choices for our students at BLENNZ.

Cheers

Karen

LaughingSmile

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 02 Mar 2013 9:35pm ()

Thanks everyone - you're amazing! This has given me a lot of food for thought. I knew it would be tricky. I can see a path now, and will make some notes to present at school.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.