Search

One way I use LEARNZ is ...

• Public
Started by Barrie Matthews 25 Feb 2013 2:35pm () Replies (10)

Please reply and finish this sentence - "One way I use LEARNZ is ..."

Your shared reflection will be a great help to other teachers.

Thanks

Replies

• Caroline (View all users posts) 26 Feb 2013 8:14am ()

I use LEARNZ for motivating and engaging students. We view the introductory video which usually gets everyone excited and then we watch the videos each day, answer the questions, read the diaries and do the follow up activities. The LEARNZ experiences are long remembered by students. They provide wonderful learning opportunities which link to real life topics.

• Caroline (View all users posts) 26 Feb 2013 8:16am ()

We read the diaries as a shared reading activity using the ACTIVboard, and also print them off for independent reading.

• Barrie Matthews (View all users posts) 26 Feb 2013 9:29am ()

Thanks Caroline for getting the ball rolling.

• Grant Peacock (View all users posts) 18 Mar 2013 6:26pm ()

One way or reason I used LEARNZ Wetland field trips in Term 1, 2013 is ...

We have a wetland near our school (Waihola Waipori Sinclair Wetland).  Our town (Mosgiel) stands on the edge of a former swamp that was drained by Pakeha settlers. We are an Enviro school and our current topic is "Our Place". The first two field trips provided valuable comparisons to use before conducting our own field trip.

• Grant Peacock (View all users posts) 18 Mar 2013 6:27pm ()

One reason I use LEARNZ is ...

Simply that it is great to have meaningful kupu (vocabulary) included in the material and to hear the perspectives of Maori on wetlands especially in the far south where the Maori voice is not heard as strongly or frequently as it is in the north. Laughing

• Marnel van der Spuy (View all users posts) 18 Mar 2013 8:29pm ()

Hi Barrie. I've looked at LEARNZ recently and was contemplating how I could get involved with my 5 year old students (NE/Year 1). Love the ideas from Caroline and Grant.  We too have a wetland near our school and I think it would be a wonderful experience for my students to follow the Northern Wetland one. I see the date mentioned is 26 - 28 Feb.  Does that mean the field trip is completed?

Would you suggest we use one of the already completed field trips to begin with, rather than joining a live one?  Any ideas would be appreciated.

• Barrie Matthews (View all users posts) 18 Mar 2013 10:05pm ()

Hi Marnel. Yes, Northern Wetlands is complete (More) but all the material remains online so enrolling in it is a good way to get started before taking part in a field trip as it unfolds.

• Marnel van der Spuy (View all users posts) 19 Mar 2013 8:14pm ()

Thank you for the information Barrie.  Will be enrolling in the completed Northern Wetlands field trip, before taking part in one as it unfolds.

• Vicki Hagenaars (View all users posts) 02 Apr 2013 9:46pm ()

I use LEARNZ as a method for making my students aware they can be part of an online, collaborative learning environment.  They are always amazed that their questions are mirrored and answered during audioconfereces. 

The best learning engagement so far has been the one trip last year that we sent an ambassador on - huge buy in to the daily diaries and fully understanding the trip we sent our dolphin friend Poseidon on.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

LEARNZ

LEARNZ

Teacher area for LEARNZ free virtual field trips for NZ schools