Search

Using Jing in the classroom

• Public
Started by Tessa Gray 18 Feb 2013 9:43pm () Replies (5)

A teacher asked me today, "How can I use Jing with my students?"

So, can you help? How have you used screen recording or screen capture technologies with your students? 

Replies

• Karen Spencer (View all users posts) 18 Feb 2013 10:00pm ()

There is a snapshot on the Software for Learning site that might be useful:

>> Supporting students to develop their ability to self-assess their learning using ‘Jing’.

Obviously, as the snapshot shows, it depends on the curriculum focus and students' needs but it might be useful.

And, although it is a different piece of software, this next story might also be useful. It's another snapshot exploring the way a teacher might use screen-capture software:

>> Creating authentic contexts for problem solving in mathematics using screen capture software to demonstrate thinking.

I have heard of teachers using it to create resources to support students when they are not available (e.g. relief teaching), as a way of 'flipping' the classroom (e.g. http://www.techsmith.com/education-tutorial-student-practice.html) and to create different, personalised pathways for students. That might be a bit focused on the teacher, though, and there is no reason why students couldn't be creating resources for each other, too.

• Amy McCauley (View all users posts) 18 Feb 2013 10:10pm ()

I'm a big fan of using Jing. My students create how to videos to explain their learning. They also can annotate over work to further explain ideas. I have also used it to show students how to use a particular tool (screen capture what I am doing so they can watch e.g. embedding a particular widget onto their wikispace). 

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 19 Feb 2013 12:30am ()

When I want to share how to set things up on my laptop and it's too long wonded to type up and I can't find a suitable You Tube video I make my own- like the Google Video I made on this page.

https://sites.google.com/site/ggwg2011/using-google-reader

But I tend to use Quicktime on my Mac to do it. Open Quicktime- go File - New Screen Recording and away you go. Easy as. Just make sure you have clicked the little down arrow to enable the inbuilt microphone to capture the audio as you record your screen.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 19 Feb 2013 10:23am ()

Wow, thanks everybody for these quick responses. I enjoyed St Mary’s story in Snapshots for Learning, it really demonstrates how the school wanted to visibly capture their student’s thinking while problem solving and story writing etc.

The idea of 'Flipping the classroom' was touched on yesterday too, so thanks again Karen for those links.

Amy, I’m going to explore a bit more about the annotation tools, I can see some potential for this in demonstration-type presentations. Did you have any examples we could view?

Thanks also to you Allanah, for showing an example of this as a demonstration tool.

I was wondering if the following videos from the Manawatu Digital awards were also used using screen grab or screen capture software? The potential for students to video desktop applications for storytelling/poetry is endless.

Any other ideas?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.