Search

Scholarship

• Public
Started by Janice Abo Ganis 18 Feb 2013 9:17am () Replies (3)

Dear Sam,

One of my students is doing scholarship photography. Please can anyone give me any advice about how best to approach his learning. He is a VC student not at my school who gained a merit in Photo last year.

Thanks

janice

Replies

• Matt Jarry (View all users posts) 18 Feb 2013 9:36am ()

Hi Janice,

We have seen some success at Schol Photography in the past few years. One of the things that I have tried to do with students who are interested in Scholarship is to ensure that they have good visual diary practice. They must document everything. In the past we have had students try to put together their schol submissions at the end of the piece and work retrospectively on their ideas. Often this is a huge challenge as they are trying to remember their ideas long after the idea developed. If you can get the student to work in their visual diary as they develop their folio work they will be much better suited to copy and paste the pages from their visual diary that show the development of their folio work.

Also, it seems that at the scholarship level, the examiners really are looking for critical thinking and making relationships to established practice. Also, for students who are looking beyond their chosen field of work (ie. looking at paint or print or sculpture, etc.). It is important that the student can say what they've done, how they've done and why they've made the decisions they have. 

I have encouraged my students to look at the exemplars on NZQA and critique them, analyse them and really look to see what the examiners are looking for.

I hope that helps. The biggest challenge your student may face is setting up from Merit at L2 to Excellence at L3 as well.

• Sally Waanders (View all users posts) 18 Feb 2013 10:09am ()

Hi Janice,

I agree totally with what Matt has said below. What I think is a good way to approach it too is to meet as a small group, so that the schol students can critique each others' work, as well as you. I do find the examiner's reports helpful and I do agree that the students need to make a commitment to doing schol earlier rather than later in the year - get them to make the decision about schol at least by the time they start their board, but really the earlier the better so they have more material to work from. The critiquing and reflection of their work as they go is vital. I think Matt is right, too. It’s a big step up from Merit at Level 2 to Schol /E at Level 3. I would look at the depth  of your student's research material and his approach to analysis and critiquing photos as well as his practical ability in photography, to see if they realistically will have a good shot at it. I have some students that are stronger at this and others that are stronger in the practical sense - with schol they have to be really strong at both :-)

Best wishes, Sally Waanders Rosehill College

Join this group to contribute to discussions.