Search

Google Apps - how do we embed their use in classroom programmes?

• Public
Started by Ross Alexander 04 Feb 2013 9:09am () Replies (16)

The start of a new school year and I’ve just set up the year 4 to 6 classes at two local schools with student Google accounts. I’ve been using Google Apps and the Teacher Dashboard for over a year now, and continue to be excited by the possibilities for students to create, communicate, and collaborate. I’ve had a taste of how their use can improve outcomes for students not currently motivated and engaged in their learning. The challenge now is to embed the use of these tools in both schools – so that they are no longer seen as novelties, but as a key part of how learning and teaching happens in class programmes. What have others in the group done to embed the use of web tools to build ‘future-oriented’ classrooms? How do we get Google Apps to be more than just a way to send out homework to the students, and begin to unleash the real power of these tools? Any thoughts?

Replies

• Michelle Robison (View all users posts) 04 Feb 2013 10:06am ()

Great Ross. I'm interested in this also and especially in literacy for primary schools. I have used it for group poetry. In pairs create a diamonte poem one line each. Each student with a different colour.

And a shared story would be a nice option. Or what about having students edit each others work. One student does their writing then shares it with a friend to edit before sharing it with the teacher.

Another way would be a shared 'silent' group discussion about what the students are intending to do for a research project. Not talking in class but typing their ideas. It never ends up silent in the class at first but once they get into it and used to it they will be quieter. Get them to write in different colours.

Also a shared presentation. Each doing a different slide. If someone sees something missing on anothers slide they can comment rather than change each slide.

• Michelle Robison (View all users posts) 03 Jun 2013 9:45pm ()

Hi Tania,

I have a teacher who is trying to set up individual blogs through blogger and google apps for his Year 6 Students. Unfortunately the students accounts were susspended because they were not 13 years old. Any idea what is going on here?

Michelle

• Michelle Robison (View all users posts) 23 Jun 2013 5:05pm ()

Yep, I had the same problem so I have suggested to all of my schools using it to turn off google+, same as Suzie.

• Michelle Robison (View all users posts) 23 Jun 2013 5:07pm ()

Is there a way to close google+ for students but leave it open for Teachers?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.