Search

Ipad Screens Scratch Resistant?

• Public
Started by Helen Prescott 30 Jan 2013 3:41pm () Replies (9)

Hi there,

I am in the process of setting up 45 iPads and was thinking about buying the clear plastic-like screen covers to protect the screens, however was advised that it isn't necessary as the iPad screen itself is scratch resistant.

I thought I would just check if anyone had used iPads without the clear plastic-like screen covers and how they found the screens without them?

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards

Helen Prescott

Replies

• Melinda Bennett (View all users posts) 30 Jan 2013 3:46pm ()

Helen, we are into our 3rd year of 1:1 ipads in the senior school and we do not have the plastic covers. I don't think they are necessary. In fact I think the use interface is far superior without them. You might get the odd small scratch but nothing major. What we do instead is insist that covers must have a flap that covers the screen when it goes into their school bags.

Melinda

• Helen Prescott (View all users posts) 31 Jan 2013 9:12pm ()

Thanks Melinda for the heads up. Very useful information, particularly as we are trialing a couple of BYOD classes, so will bear this in mind for those children who will have iPads to take home.

Cheers

Helen

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 30 Jan 2013 3:50pm ()

Hi Helen,

I have used ipads in a year 3 class and they were also used in my school in the new entrants and year 5 and 6 classes without screen protectors and we have never had any toruble with scratches on the screens.

The screen protectors tend to be problematic as they lift at the edges where the case covers the ipad screen edges and start to peel off quite quickly.

I do recommend covers which wrap over the edge of the screen (most do) but aside from this wouldn't worry.

We bought cheap covers off trademe, leaving more money for apps, and they have been fine. They were similar to these ones and worked fine, protecting the screen when not in use.

This is of course only my experience and I welcome responses from others : )

• Helen Prescott (View all users posts) 31 Jan 2013 9:13pm ()

Thanks Catriona. Very  helpful. Appreciate it.

Regards

Helen

• Stuart Hale (View all users posts) 30 Jan 2013 3:55pm ()

Hi Helen

I am working around NZ in Kindergartens through to Secondary - I find money on screen protectors is best spent on a good protective covers! It is not if they get dropped but when. The Screen glass is very scratch resistent - I agree with Melinda

For Juniors do not get covers with flaps as this is a major hinderance to using the Camera

Stuart Hale

• Helen Prescott (View all users posts) 31 Jan 2013 9:14pm ()

Great advice. Thanks Stuart. Appreciate it.  We have ended up with covers that don't have flaps which will make things so much easier for filming.

Cheers

Helen

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 30 Jan 2013 4:45pm ()

Hi Helen

Screen protectors unecessary. The gorilla glass is super tough. Worked with iPad 1s yesterday - 3 years extensive classroom use and not a scratch- no camera but! Talk to the kids about clean fingers. It is much easier to clean screens without the 'protective' film. Covers may depend on age - for younger kids especially, surround foam is better, protects all corners and when they fall (they will) protects the screen. A cover only protects the screen if it falls shut 8-} I have an options on covers but as this is a non commercial channel contact me separately

Innes

• Helen Prescott (View all users posts) 31 Jan 2013 9:17pm ()

Thanks Innes,

Appreciate the information. I won't bother with screen protectors then.  I have already ordered covers, but thanks for the the offer.  The covers I've ordered at the i-ncase ones which arrived today.  

Cheers

Helen

Join this group to contribute to discussions.