Search

Mega Upload vs Mega

• Public
Started by Tessa Gray 21 Jan 2013 9:45am () Replies (4)

Just watching the news this week and I'm a bit confused about the whole Kim Dotcom saga.

Can anyone explain (simply)...what was the issue with MegaUpload (copyright, file sharing)... and how is Mega different? 

Replies

• dorothyjburt (View all users posts) 22 Jan 2013 9:15am ()

Sean, my question for NZ schools is about speed/ bandwidth if we have a file sharing space that is in NZ, would that mean we could store our student created videos on them without it being off shore traffic.  So it would be faster to access (upload/download) and cheaper for schools whose pricing is impacted by whether the traffic is off shore or not?

Dorothy

• Steve Voisey (View all users posts) 21 Jan 2013 3:47pm ()

crosspost from MLE: 

I'm a little fearful of getting hauled over the coals for this, but here's my take:

Megaupload was cloud storage where you could have a public folder that was SEARCHABLE by everyone. You could upload your baby photos, put them in your public folder. If someone else searched for babyphotos.jpg they could download you picture. 
    However: people would search for songsbymiley.mp3 or titanic.avi. That's why Hollywood was upset. 
    I think it's like storing your own books in a public library. 

Mega is setup so that Kim Dotcom doesn't even know what people have uploaded. People can share their files, but he is completely in the dark on what they're doing. 
  • Sean Lyons (View all users posts) 21 Jan 2013 3:32pm ()

Hi Tessa. So far, from what I can see, this is encrypted file storage. The difference here from Megaupload is that the user takes the responsibility for the encryption key, so the service itself has no visibility on the content.

This would mean that the service provider cannot [theoretically] be held responsible for any material stored that may infringe on someones copyright. 

The other difference here is the NZ domain registration. Meaning the registrant is subject to .nz domain rules.

I did see that they are looking for server partners, which means that they will be paying to rent storage space from territories all over the world, and this may blur the "New Zealandness" of the service in terms of the application of New Zeland laws to it.

Not sure if that answers your question, but I am sure there will be more and more information as the 1 million users already registered start to use Mega.

Sean.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Netsafe

Netsafe

Netsafe is an independent non-profit organisation with an unrelenting focus on online safety and security.