Search

A REFRESHER about what works for Māori learners?

Started by Moana Timoko 14 Jan 2013 10:48am () Replies (35)

Kia ora koutou

What works for Māori Learners?  You may know, you may not - You may have some ideas and you may be seeking new ideas.  

You may want to share something that has worked for you OR you may want to share something that you've seen work.

How have you improved Māori student achievement?  Let us know how you know.

How have you improved Māori student engagement?  Let us know how you know.

How have you hooked your Māori students on to learning?  Let us know how you know.

Are you using a blend of face to face and virtual approaches to improve student learning?  If yes, how? - let us know.

I would love to read your kōrero - That's a bit of a play on words for you.

There are a lot of success stories out there but I want to read it, hear it & see it here.

There is a Māori whakatauki -

E kore te kumara e kōrero mō tōna ake reka - The kumara will not speak of its own sweetness.  

Share about someone else if you are not comfortable about sharing about yourself.

Replies

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 14 Jan 2013 6:11pm ()

Kia ora Te Ahua - Thanks for sharing.

Thought I'd share two articles about part of your journey here:

Read about Kids Thriving on Netbooks here - an article shared December 2011.  

Read about the progress of the Connected class working within the community here - Community focused schooling success - an article shared December 2012

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 17 Jan 2013 9:38am ()

Identity, Language and Culture

“Māori children and students are more likely to achieve when they see themselves, their whānau , hapū and iwi reflected in the teaching content and environment, and are able to be ‘Māori’ in all learning contexts.”

Ka Hikitia – Managing for Success: The Māori Education Strategy 2008-2012, page 20.

Productive partnerships

“Increasing whānau and iwi authority and involvement in education is critical to improving presence, engagement, and achievement. To achieve this, parents and whānau must be actively involved in decision-making and their children’s learning in all education settings.”

Ka Hikitia – Managing for Success: The Māori Education Strategy 2008-2012, page 28.

Ako

"...research shows that student engagement and achievement improves when teachers develop positive teaching and learning relationships with Māori students..."

Ka Hikitia – Managing for Success: The Māori Education Strategy 2008-2012, page 23.

Examples of what this looks like can be found here: Te Mangōroa
  • Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 31 Jan 2013 1:05pm ()

Kia ora Kelly

Immediately I think...allowing our Māori learners to 'be Māori' is about them not having to comprise who they are, how they act... in order to fit into an educational system that has generally not worked for Māori (on a wide scale).  I can elaborate on this but wonder what others think, and encourage others to contribute to this discussion.

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 01 Feb 2013 8:31pm ()

Ngā mihi ki ngā kaituhituhi nei

I thought I’d share a personal story, a journey that I am living right now.  I have a teenage son who has just started secondary school.  

A comment in his last school report stated that he..."needs to demonstrate more respect for the kaupapa of Kapa Haka." At this time my son is not a confident Kapa Haka performer and has never expressed joy in performing in front of a seated audience.  However as a young lad, he would haka hard...he wasn't shy, he'd rattle it out, pukana and make really ugly facials.  Te ihi, te wehi me te wana!  He made up his own words, and soon learnt them by listening to his cousins & other whānau members.  It was a normal thing for us to do. 

Something happened over time that crumbled his confidence and crumbled his interest.  He would do anything to get out of participating in Kapa Haka. This saddened me, but it was no longer something that excited and ignited his soul.  His teacher had concerns and chose to contact me about his lack of enthusiasm.  I listened, I spoke to him about it, and I accepted that it was something that he no longer wanted to do.  I wanted him to be happy, and experience success.  Forcing him to do something that was making him feel miserable and less motivated was not an option. His teacher and I decided to let him explore other areas.  Opportunities were provided for him to participate in different activities – He was responsible for buying, preparing, and cooking kai (for many occasions).  He helped make crayfish nets, went eeling & fishing, smoked fish and cooked boil ups to feed his classmates.  He was engaged and was able to share his knowledge as his Dad is a hunter-food gatherer and he’d obviously picked up a few tips from him.  He always talked about what they did or what they were planning on doing.  As a result of his new found enthusiasm he felt successful doing what he normally does (with his dad) and his efforts in other curriculum areas of interest improved also. 

My son has unlimited potential. It’s just a matter of tapping into his strengths, interests and natural capabilities.  His lack of enthusiasm about Kapa Haka had history and I’m just glad that his teacher agreed with me about not pushing it too hard…she acknowledged that it just wasn’t his ‘thing’ at the time.  I agree with her report comment about him needing to respect the kaupapa of Kapa Haka because he may have openly appeared to hate it…but again there was obviously some history stirring his behaviour.   

The Māori potential approach in Ka Hikitia emphasizes that:

• All Māori learners have unlimited potential and are naturally capable of achieving success

Another guiding principle of Ka Hikitia involves ensuring Māori Learners’ background, identity, language and culture are valued and meaningfully integrated into their teaching and learning experience – Teaching and Learning builds upon what Māori learners already know and value.

Hopefully my story illustrates this.

This is a link to an article that shares some details about the Practical Life Skills Courses that my son was actively engaged in - Feast ends up famine - Unfortunately it’s a bit of a sad story because someone stole some their kai and boil up Marae pots.  The photo below was taken at a happier time and my son is in the middle, far left with the red t-shirt.  Check out his tongue – Is that an enthusiastic haka gesture or what??? 

Feast ends up famine

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 11 Feb 2013 1:29pm ()

Check out this link to a post started by Tamara Bell

What does Māori enjoying educational success as Māori mean to you?

You may want to contribute to the discussion in both places, so copy and paste here too.  Thanks

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 13 Feb 2013 11:01pm ()

Ngā mihi ki ngā kaituhituhi nei!  E haramai tētahi āhua!!!!  Loving it!!!

Miss Tracey Tito I have seen you in action and yes, I agree with Phoebe - I think you're pretty WOWsome too!!!  Someone who takes the time xx

Acknowledging those who are stepping up to make a difference is important - if you know a teacher that is doing a great job - tell them, let them know.  If a child in your class is doing well tell them and then get on the phone and let their whānau know.  

Acknowledge the greatness!!!  Share their success loudly and proudly!!!

Tracey mentioned being treated like a niece, or a moko by some of her WOW teachers.  I recently wrote a post about how lucky I am to leave my 6 year old daughter in the hands of a teacher who knows her, and cares about her just as much as I do....AND who is that teacher - Whaea Poly from Te Kura Kaupapa Māori o Kaikohe.  Ngā mihi ki a ia.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.