Search

New Year - New Learning!

• Public
Started by Catriona Pene 10 Jan 2013 8:30am () Replies (7)

Happy New Year everyone! Welcome to 2013 on the VLN.

Another year has begun and as I compile my list of 'to dos' I am thinking about the year ahead and wondering what professional learning I will undertake.

Of course I will grab any opportunity that comes my way, informal and formal, synchronous and asynchronous, free and (where my budget allows) paid, including attending educamps, online workshops, professional reading... the list goes on!

One thing I am going to make time for in 2013 are to complete some of the free google apps for education courses here.

What are your plans for professional learning in 2013?

Personal or schoolwide we'd love to hear them all. And if we can help by providing a webinar or online support we'd love to know that too.

Replies

• anne robertson (View all users posts) 19 Jan 2013 8:42am ()

Hi there,

I have signed up to a MOOC which starts on 28th Jan.  It is called elearning and Digital Cultures, it is quite overwhelming at the moment keeping up with the thousands of pre-course discussions on a range of social media but I am hoping that it will help me with the work I am involved in this year. 

• Amy McCauley (View all users posts) 19 Jan 2013 8:52am ()

Is that the one run by Jeremy Knox thorugh the University of Edinburgh? I was looking at signing up for that too.

• Justine Hughes (View all users posts) 19 Jan 2013 11:58am ()

Hi everyone. This year I'm completing my final Masters' paper. Really excited about the learning challenges and possibilities the coming year will bring. I'm also delving into software development so that's another exciting aspect. 

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 19 Jan 2013 12:27pm ()

Wow Justine that is exciting - good luck with your study!

Hey Anne, that sounds like it will be a great course too - so many opportunties so little time! : )

Good luck to you too. 

• Lyndal (View all users posts) 25 Jan 2013 3:37pm ()

Kia ora

I too am in the process of using/ learning about Google apps. Particularly google sites and docs.

as we now have UFB we are ready to fly!  Wireless, BYOD- all very exciting. 

Looking for others on this learning path.

Heard and talked to some great people at ICOT this week.  So much to distill ...

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 25 Jan 2013 6:50pm ()

Well, so much to learn about at the moment, but I have signed up and paid out US$130 to join the "SimpleK12" community because it gives me access to all sorts of blended learning training but their bite sized half hour seminars are very good, and very digestible.  They are by teachers in the main.  Well worth a look, you can sign up for 5 free webinars and there are other freebies available too.  Once you pay up the webinars are all available on demand.  You can ignore the common core stuff.  I have been doing Google apps webinars today. I learned how to use Gimp, and lots about ipads and good apps over the holidays Sometimes you have to get up early because of the time difference! Ouch, or you can get the webinars on demand, once you pay!

http://community.simplek12.com/scripts/student/home.asp#cat0

Join this group to contribute to discussions.